Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
AlanDHart
Accepted Solution

Is it safe to install norton 360 Gold edition on two different computers

I have a HP tower with Windows XP version 5.1 with SP2 and a laptop with Windows Vista Home premium SP2 (32 bit operating system). I want to install Norton 360 Gold Edition but there are a lot of stickers on the Norton 360 pack so I cannot tell if it is safe to load onto both computers. I have heard there are issues with Vista home premium at sp2 level.

Pleas help me as I know little about computers.

Alan

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,850
Solutions: 378

Re: Is it safe to install norton 360 Gold edition on two different computers

I don't know much azbout N360 Gold since it's an oddball version that is not sold everywhere but the standard N 360 says:

• Microsoft® Windows® XP (32-bit) Home/Professional/Tablet PC/Media Center (32-bit) with Service Pack 2 or later
  • Microsoft Windows Vista® (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate with Service Pack 1 or later

although we would recommend going all the way with the Service Packs unless you have a very strong reason not to.

Hang on for some opinions on VISTA which may have had problems anyway!

Hugh
Visitor
AlanDHart

thanks Hugh,

was purchased from Currys and told it was best solution as i had had troubles with NIS 2012. I will wait but need to update in next 12 days so looking for a definitive answer.

From your response I should wait for an answer on vista, but not too sure on what you mean regarding the SP's.

Regards

Alan

huwyngr

On the Service Packs I just meant that it's best to be on the latest issued -- we do run across users who held back because of reports of problems and never caught up when problems disappeared.

Do you know what version of N360 Gold you got from Curry's? (Didn't they go broke?) V6 was the equivalent of NIS 2012 and V20 of NIS 2013 since they brought the version numbers into line.

What sort of problems were you having with NIS 2012? I would not expect much difference since the engines are basically the same in NIS and N360 but N360 has bits of utilties added on, which frankly I would not use unless I had a very good reason.

If you can give us some details maybe we can save you having the same troubles with N360 .......

Hugh
Visitor
AlanDHart

Thanks for update. It states that it is Norton 360 2013 so that appears to be the latest version. It was Comet that went broke not Currys.

The main problem I have with both computers was that they often come up with 'Norton Confidentiallity has crashed'. I have been running norton utilities 14 alongside NIS2012.

The 360 Gold I have states that along with all the Anti-virus and Internet Security featues there are also 2 others: 

1. 'Keep your PC up and running at it's optimum'.

2. 'Safeguard valuable PC files with automatic secure backups - either online orto one of your external storage devices'.

Would welome your thoughts.

Alan

huwyngr

I dodn't know Norton 360 well enough to help you more so I'll ask some of my colleagues to jump in.

Hugh
Visitor
AlanDHart

Thanks High, will await update from your colleagues.

Alan

peterweb
Kudos: 1,448
Solutions: 360

Alan

The product you have purchased will be compatible with both your computers.

Were there specific issues with Vista you were concerned about?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
AlanDHart

Thanks peterweb, will go ahead in 10 days and load the 360. Issues I had with Vista were Norton Identity and shockwave crashes. Not sure if this was due to NIS2012 or orton Utilities I had loaded. I will not be using that software again.

Thanks for your help and if you have knowledge of Norton 360 Gold edition are the two additional features:

1 Keep your PC tuned up and running at it's optimum

2. Safeguard valuable files with automatic secure backups

worth using?

Regards

Alan

huwyngr

Alan,

Dealing with another user here from the UK with N360 Gold and a notebook without optical drive I eventually found, from some information he gave, this URL for the UK source of N 360 Gold for download as well as some information:

http://uk.norton.com/now/en/GB_SITE/pu/images/Promotions/2013/gold/Norton_Gold_LP.html 

including some free apps

I thought it might be useful

The Download version at present is 20.1.0.24

Hugh