Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
sidfleis

MAIN WINDOW WON'T OPEN

[ Edited ]

Using MS windows 7,when I click on the Norton 360 icon or click on it from the start menu,
the main window won't open. The N360 service is running from what taskmaster tells me, but no processes or applications related to N360 show. Simultaneous with being unable to open the main window to select functions, all of my OUTLOOK 2007 email is going into the Norton Spam folder and i never configured any spam checking in Norton. So now my inbox is the Norton Spam folder. Any ideas?

Super Spyware Scolder
whiplash

Re: MAIN WINDOW WON'T OPEN

what version are you running? can you check by right clicking on the n360 icon and selecting properties and telling me what the engine folder number is.

----
"you better watch out for the whiplash!! thank you for taking the time to read my signature lol! ;]" -- Kaiser Wilhelm
AllenM
Topics: 226
Kudos: 2,153
Solutions: 379

[ Edited ]

Hi sidfleis,

In addition to the full version of N360 whiplash requested, what is your exact version of Windows 7 and 32 or 64 bit? When was the last time you ran Live Update?

Also, do you recall anything unusual prior to the time this problem started? Anything like downloading some program, unexpected popups from your browser, online games, etc? Please be as specific as possible and if your not sure if it is related, err on the side of caution and let us know anyway.

I am concerned about the possibility of malware and one of the first things malware will attempt to do is disable your Anti Virus software. 

Please download, install, update and run the free version of MalwareBytes following the procedure outlined below. Any other recommendations will follow after you have a chance to provide any other details requested.

Please go to www.malwarebytes.org

1. Download Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (mbam-setup.exe) free version and save it on your Desktop.
2. After downloading, double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
3. Follow the prompts and install as “default” only
4. Before the installation completes, check on the following prompts:
- Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
5. Click “Finish.” The program will run automatically and you will be prompt to update the program before doing a scan. Please update.
6. Scan your computer thoroughly choosing a "full scan".
7. When scanning is finished click on “Show Results”
8. Make sure that all detected threats are marked with a check mark, click on "Remove Selected".
9. Restart your computer.

Please post the logs back to this thread using "add attchments" at the bottom.

Note: Sometimes the main site is blocked from attempts to download MalwareBytes. If this occurs please try to download from:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
Do NOT download the Spyware Doctor which you will see on this page!

Thanks much

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
Visitor
sidfleis

thanks for trying to help

Windows 7 Home Premium     \Engine\3.8.0.41"

Visitor
sidfleis

wndows 7 home premium 32 bit

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello sidfleis

Do you have any other live time security programs installed besides N360? Did you have another security program installed before N360?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

AllenM
Topics: 226
Kudos: 2,153
Solutions: 379

Hi sidfleis,

Also, did you have a chance to download and run MalwareBytes as suggested? You should do this and post the logs to this thread.

Thanks

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
Visitor
sidfleis

Did as you asked. Found only minor problems with malwarebytes and they are attached. Recalling changes that happened to my system, at the same time as not being able to run Norton from the Icon, it seemed to drop out of the "Action Section" in the lower right of the taskbar where the little circle icon always appeared. I have tried to run live update, but nothing happens. It is as if there is an icon there but no program. It does not give me a message when I double click on icons. If I uninstall it, there is some special "kill" programs that need to be run to remove it beyond what the Microsoft Uninstall does. Then maybe some manual registry maintenance. Then, since I used all of my 3 keys, when i try to install using my existing key for this install, i will get grief from Symantec.

In looking back at what changes I made to the system, nothing comes to mind that would have done this to my N360 which has been running for almost a year on my Vista system and when I did an upgrade to Windows 7.

Visitor
sidfleis

no, that was the only one and I have been using it for over a year.

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello sidfleis

Do you have a current license for N360 now since you mentioned you have had it for over a year. If your subscription has run out, the product will stop working.

If you have used up your installations of the product, you can contact customer support chat for free. Just explain to them what has happened, and they can adjust your activations. They are the ones to handle that problem. Have your key handy for that process.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/contact/contact.jsp?pvid=cs

This is the link for US/Can. If you need a different location, please consult your local Symantec site for the local free chat customer support link.

If you find you have to remove N360, please be aware it will delete all Norton products. Please save your identity safe items before you use it. Also have your key handy.

Here is the Norton Removal Tool

You can download the Norton Removal tool from http://www.symantec.com/symnrt

Please come back and let us know how you made out.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.