Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
rob73

Malware

Having just run a Norton Quick scan, I then ran another scan using Spyhunter, which found (immediately after the Norton scan) a large number of threats ('malware objects').

Shouldn't these have been picked up by Norton?

If so, do I need to change scan settings?

I'm rather worried that Norton may be missing threats.

(I went through this process as my son's laptop had the police e-crime virus, which I removed with Spyhunter)

yank
Kudos: 2,229
Solutions: 510

Re: Malware

Hi rob73,

What Norton considers malware and what other programs consider malware may not always be the same thing. 

I know Norton does not detect PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) as malware, as in most cases, although annoying and sometimes sneakily installed on your system - you actually asked for / permitted the install of the PUP.  Example being the installation of a toolbar when insatlling another program and you do not uncheck the box with the small print.

Contributor
rob73

Hi Yank.

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I should have said that I ran a Norton scan first on the laptop, and it didn't seem to detect the virus.

It was only when I ran Spyhunter that it was detected (and this is a serious virus)

I'm reluctant to pay for the removal function of Spyhunter, as I think Norton should have been able to detect and fix the threat.

Contributor
rob73

In addition, I'm having to run the laptop, and so the Norton scan, in safe mode, as the virus locks the computer.

yank
Kudos: 2,229
Solutions: 510

rob73 wrote:

In addition, I'm having to run the laptop, and so the Norton scan, in safe mode, as the virus locks the computer.

Hi rob73,

I would suggest you post the name of the virus that is detected and wait until Quads (one of our volunteers who is an expert in these matters responds).

I suggest you do not do anything until such time as he replies. 

Contributor
rob73

It's the 'Police central e-crime unit virus'

dickevans

rob73 wrote:

It's the 'Police central e-crime unit virus'

Hi,
I would recommend that you start a new thread with the name of the virus in the title and wait for user/volunter/expert Quads to respond. He is the best available source for help in cleaning this type of nasty our of your computer. Until he response please do nothing and when he responds please follow his instructions exactly. Doing it your way can get you into more trouble and will cause him to quit helping you.

Keep us posted

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Bot Obliterator
Quads

Message 1 states

Having just run a Norton Quick scan, I then ran another scan using Spyhunter, which found (immediately after the Norton scan) a large number of threats ('malware objects').

Shouldn't these have been picked up by Norton?

If so, do I need to change scan settings?

I'm rather worried that Norton may be missing threats.

(I went through this process as my son's laptop had the police e-crime virus, which I removed with Spyhunter)

Removed with...................... so it is gone 

Quads
Bot Obliterator
Quads

Now states a friend is dealing with or dealt with the system, on the other thread.

Quads