Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
gldnkngt

MoneyPak FBI virus. Green Dot

I managed to pick up a ransomeware virus, (MoneyPak FBI) which locked up my computer whenever I booted up. I was able to get it running by restoring to an earlier time, however I'm sure the virus is still lurking around in there. I could really use some help in getting rid of it. I have windows Vista on a Dell Laptop. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Re: MoneyPak FBI virus. Green Dot

Since asking for help you have changed your system

From,

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I picked up MoneyPak FBI GreenDot virus today and it takes over my computer when I try to sign on. Can't seem to find a way to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated

To

I managed to pick up a ransomeware virus, (MoneyPak FBI) which locked up my computer whenever I booted up. I was able to get it running by restoring to an earlier time, however I'm sure the virus is still lurking around in there. I could really use some help in getting rid of it. I have windows Vista on a Dell Laptop. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Good Luck

Quads

Visitor
gldnkngt

First time on I hadn't been succesful restoring mine to an earlier time and was using my wife's computer to seek advice. I couldn't keep tying up hers and here I am on my own again, hoping to get this solved.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

"First time on I hadn't been succesful restoring mine to an earlier time"

For other readers so they know,   I am not touching this system, it has been altered even after failures.

Quads

Visitor
Gabe

MoneyPak FBI virus. Green Dot

One of our computers caught this virus. I am running Norton 360 on all my machines, have been for years. The machine is shut down, have not touched it. Looking for help to fix this and get rid of the FBI Moneypak Virus.

Can you help explain the steps or assist via phone or?

I am running Windows 7, on an HP, Norton 360.

Respectfully

Gabe 

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Gabe

You need your own thread

Quads

Visitor
pord2548

Hi,

Unfortunetly Norton hasn't got a program that will stop the infection from taking place or remove it. I haven't tried "Eraser" because they don't give enough information as to the consequences of using it. I can tell you that Malwarebytes' Antimalware program WILL detect and remove it from your computer. Figures because if you have an antivirus program from Norton they say to deactivate  Malwarebyte if it is already installed on your computer. They claim a conflict can happen. This is also known as the FBI Virus but it is actually a trojan. I will attempt to show a snapshot of the mess that Norton's Internet Security Suite missed and can't handle. It is what was detected and then removed  from my computer on 9/202012 using Malwarebytes program. Good Luck. Well it says my snapshot won't attach because it has a wrong extension, whatever that means. . Here is what Malwarebytes detects:  Trojan.Ransom.FGen it is listed as a file and also a Folder whatever that means. This is really the MoneyPak/ FBI/DNS Changer name as it appears to this program.

Visitor
pord2548

Go safemode, download and run Malwarebytes" Antispyware program. I guarentee it will detect and give you the option of removing it. It will be detected as Trojan.Ransom.FGen I just had my ISP people solve this one a few hours ago.. Norton doesn't detect or remove this threat. They do say in at least 6 places on their site that they DO remove it. NOT TRUE. Good Luck.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

pord2548 wrote:

Go safemode, download and run Malwarebytes" Antispyware program. I guarentee it will detect and give you the option of removing it. It will be detected as Trojan.Ransom.FGen I just had my ISP people solve this one a few hours ago.. Norton doesn't detect or remove this threat. They do say in at least 6 places on their site that they DO remove it. NOT TRUE. Good Luck.

Norton does remove it, for some of the files, if I get the same file that is detected altered by a few bytes so that the file is no longer detected by norton then it gets passed, but it is still the same FBI Moneypak.

People that don't understand 

Quads

Visitor
pord2548

In safemode, download , install and run Malwarebytes' Antimalware program. I Got the @#^%# yesterday and this takes care of it. I already had the program on my computer but when I got Norton's Internet Security Suite they said to disable it because it conflicts with Norton products. It's FREE and detected the MoneyPak/FBI/DNS Changer crap as Trojan.Ransom.FGen on my computer. I promise this will get rid of it.

Dave