Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
ValtitudeCO
Topics: 3
Kudos: 0
Solutions: 0

Mozilla Thunderbird missing from computer

[ Edited ]

Honestly - I have NO idea what's going on.

I have Comcast as my ISP. Beginning in about May, all was well with email being on Ports 995 and 465 to meet Comcast rules. Suddenly since August 21, I can't download email to Mozilla Thunderbird, my desktop email package. I can get Comcast webmail but it's a porker and lousy with filters. I receive a LOT of email.

I need to get my Mozilla Thunderbird back and NOW!

Please, someone, anyone?!? HELP, Please?!?

I have turned off the modem, reset the button. Turned off the firewall following Symantec descriptions for other users on similar posts (with similar problems). NOTHING IS WORKING FOR ME and I'm VERY frustrated trying to fix this problem.

LONG TIME Norton/ Symantec customer.

[edit: Clarify subject.]

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,845
Solutions: 779

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird missing from computer

[ Edited ]

Hi ValtitudeCO,

What actually happens when you try to get mail with Thunderbird?  Do you get any error messages - if so, what?  Make sure your settings agree with the following:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/setting-up-thunderbird/

ValtitudeCO

Thunderbird acts like it wants to download email, but nothing happens.

I've Compacted Folders and done everything a good Mozilla Thunderbird user does to make certain things are working well within the email package. My problem between my ISP and email began suddenly.

Comcast and Thunderbird won't shake hands.

Tony suggested I try to ALLOW T-bird through the Firewall manually, then reboot. Did this. Symantec created a second Symantec Service Framework icon in my taskbar - still not reaching Comcast. Still no Mozilla T-bird.

My Performance button gives what I believe is quite a bit of suspicious info:

Aug 14 NINE Threat Detections

Aug 20 NOTHING apparently happened that day (although I used the computer that day, I'm 90% certain)

Aug 20th NINE performance alerts

All sorts of activity from Aug 14 to now.

I first noticed trouble after trying to download television streaming software (EUROSPORT from UK) on or about Aug 20 to 21. I was trying to catch a pro cycling race in Spain at that time that wasn't available through ESPN, Universal Sports or NBC Sports.

IE9 has also acted up throughout this nerve-wracking problem but is better now (fingers crossed).

I ran the Kaspsersky program another user suggested (it seems to have fixed everything but my email!) Still - something is still very wrong.

Seems to me there are attacks coming from the UK/ Western Europe region ... but what do I know?!

Thanks for helpful help, fellow Norton Symantec subscribers!

ValtitudeCO

Believe me, I've worn a path to the Comcast site and I know the Port settings like the back of my hand. Firewall will not allow Port 995 or 465 to be set for email. This worked until Aug 20. 

peterweb
Kudos: 1,449
Solutions: 360

ValtitudeCO wrote:

My Performance button gives what I believe is quite a bit of suspicious info:

Aug 14 NINE Threat Detections

Aug 20 NOTHING apparently happened that day (although I used the computer that day, I'm 90% certain)

Aug 20th NINE performance alerts

All sorts of activity from Aug 14 to now.

I first noticed trouble after trying to download television streaming software (EUROSPORT from UK) on or about Aug 20 to 21. I was trying to catch a pro cycling race in Spain at that time that wasn't available through ESPN, Universal Sports or NBC Sports.

Check your security history and see what nine threats were detected. If they were just tracking cookies, that is nothing to worry about.

What version of 360 are you using? Support - About. Is it the Comcast version or directly from Norton?

Have you run a full system scan to see if anything is found?

What version of Thunderbird are you using, and what add ons are installed?

Have you removed the Eurosport software?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
SendOfJive

[ Edited ]

It is most likely not a firewall issue.  Have you checked the authentication settings in TB?  You can have the correct ports but still not be able to connect if the other settings are incorrect.  What does acting "like it wants to download email" look like?  Does it include any "can't find server" notifications?

ValtitudeCO

Sorry I was away for awhile.

This problem is really odd. On Sunday September 3 2012, I reset the Comcast ISP/ Thunderbird settings back to the original Norton settings (not Ports 995 or 465). Suddenly, email (3035 of them) began downloading from August 21st - which is THE date Norton sent an update to my computer.

Today, I've received another request for Norton to update so, of course, I said, okay. However, it downloaded a product older than the product installed. When I follow the link to fix this, Norton's page says "Not Available".

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks, BTW.

ValtitudeCO

This problem is not a Norton 360 problem, it's an NIS problem. It was posted by Symantec employees originally ...

SendOfJive

It continues to sound like an authentication problem.  Configure Thunderbird according to the requirements of your email service provider.  If you use anything other than POP3 port 110 and SMTP port 25, disable Norton Email Protection and AntiSpam, neither of which will work with secure ports.  If you get "Fix Now" alerts from this, hover your mouse over "Email Protection" on the Norton Advanced View screen and select "Ignore" in the popup.

ValtitudeCO

I received several updates from Norton Symantec for NIS during the last two and a half weeks or so. My email/ NIS problems resolved with these updates. Most everything is running well - at least as far as I can tell. I still don't know what happened, but I suspect Comcast decided to change email Ports - again - without notice that I can find anywhere.

The rest of the problems? My husband explored (and swears he only explored - changing nothing) on the Norton Home and Business family protection pages and we wonder if our firewall reset when he did that. Maybe he actually set something he didn't realize he'd set. I've noticed Norton has put limits on who can visit the Business protection page ...

Even NOBU is running better (at least quicker) than it used to under the old version. I still haven't tried to download anything yet, however.

At any rate, thank you to those who tried to help me!