Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
nexusfox

Multiple Problems after upgrade

It's been close to 6 months since I've upgraded to Norton 360 v5 and I've been having many issues since then even though this seems like a slick upgrade.  I have Windows Vista.  Here are the issues:

1. Biggest issues is I can't seem to put my notebook to sleep most of the time.  Whenever I click on the sleep option the screen will go blank but the fan and the CPU doesn't seem to shut off even after closing the lid.  After a while the laptop will just shut off and restart on its own like a forced shutdown, then I get a windows error message that the PC wasn't shut off properly.

2. Not sure if this is a Firefox issue or Norton issue, but it seems like after the upgrade I often cannot log in to Yahoo email.  I'll type in the username/PW and it will just hang there and not do anything.  I read in the firefox forum that one can remove firefox from the firewall protection and it does work, but it's annoying repeating this everytime I want to check Yahoo email. 

3. The Vista calendar on my desktop would not display properly.  After the upgrade I've often been getting a blank orange screen with no information.

All of these are very frustrating and makes me want to uninstall the product and switch to something else.  Just seem so unstable and I'm still not sure if I'm protected, but I thought I'd try the forum to see if I can fix anything.  Thanks.

PapauZ
Topics: 391
Kudos: 1,023
Solutions: 374

Re: Multiple Problems after upgrade

Hi,

did you upgraded from a previous Norton 360 version to v5? If yes, how did you do the installation? Did you installed the new over the old one, or did you first cleaned up the old one?

If the first (overinstall), please follow these steps, sometimes old versions leave files and settings on the machine that can cause troubles.
1. If you use the feature, please backup your Identity Safe data (Settings -> Identity Protection -> Backup)
2. Download latest Norton 360 installer (only the edition you bought):
- www.norton.com/n360s_5 Standard with 2GB Online Storage
- www.norton.com/n360p_5 Premier with 25GB Online Storage
- www.norton.com/n360sne_5 Standard Netbook Edition with 2GB Online Storage
- www.norton.com/n360pne_5 Premier Netbook Edition with 25GB Online Storage
- for other languages than English please go to the Norton Update Center: www.norton.com/nuc
3. Download Norton Removal Tool: www.norton.com/nrt
4. Disconnect from internet
5. Remove Norton 360 version from Start Menu or from Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs
6. Reboot
7. Run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot (repeat it 2-3 times)
8. Install Norton 360 version 5 with the downloaded installer
9. Reconnect to the internet
10. Activate Norton 360 version 5
11. Run Live Update until you get no new updates
12. Restore your Identity Safe data (Settings ->Identity Protection -> Restore)

You can check how the Norton Removal Tool works in this video.

Let us know the results.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.2.0.38

nexusfox

Thanks for helping, but when I go on the Norton Removal Page and follow the instruction, I could not get through the step to save my product key.  When I follow the steps of starting Norton 360 > Account > Access Norton Account I get no new screen open up.  I kept clicking on "Access Norton Account" and nothing happens.  In fact, when I try clicking on the other links in that settings page, only the "Renew Subscription" and "Check Monthly Report" worked and successfully opened new windows for subsequent steps. 

I hate to think that I am only allowed to renew my subscription after purchasing the product. 

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

1. Biggest issues is I can't seem to put my notebook to sleep most of the time. Whenever I click on the sleep option the screen will go blank but the fan and the CPU doesn't seem to shut off even after closing the lid. After a while the laptop will just shut off and restart on its own like a forced shutdown, then I get a windows error message that the PC wasn't shut off properly. 

This sounds identical to another user with a Skype conflict.  Do you have Skype on your machine? 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
nexusfox

Yes, I do have Skype on my computer. 

Update: after restarting my computer again and try going through the steps again I finally got to record my product key and able to reinstall Norton 360 now.  At the moment the sleep function seems to work ok, but I'll have to observe a few more days to see if the same problem occur again.  Thanks though. 

DistEd2
Kudos: 413
Solutions: 81

[ Edited ]

Hii, nexusfox,

What delphinium is mentioning is that the user in the other thread discovered that so long as Skype isn't actively running, the sleep function will be fine, but there seems to be some sort of interaction between a running Skype install and Norton 360 now that interferes with hibernation. So if you haven't started Skype up again, that is likely why you're not experiencing the problem.

Until the development people from Skype and Norton can get together and figure out the precise nature of this interaction and what to do about it, your best bet may be to actually shut down when you're not going to be using your computer for a long time, or at least to shut down Skype under those circumstances, and bring it back up again when you're there.

nexusfox

Actually I just tried it with Skype on and it seems to hibernate ok, but seems to take longer than usual.  Before the reinstallation the PC often wouldn't hibernate even when there's no program running, I'm sure I don't have Skype running because I only use it once in a while.  However, the login problem with Yahoo using Firefox is still there though.  Many times I still can't get to my email.  It seems to be some sort of firewall issue with N360. 

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

You won't be able to confirm all of the effects of a Skype-Norton conflict without removing Skype to see what now works and what still does not.  Driver conflicts can affect things that you would not expect.

If the email program has been correctly added to the program rules, it is unlikely to be the problem.  You can try disabling the N360 firewall as a quick check.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
nexusfox

You're right.  The hibernation problem occurred again!  This is so annoying.  I'm switching to something else after my subscription expires.