Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
tomheavr
Accepted Solution

Must replace two PCs with N360

I have a 3-seat copy of Norton 360, and have to replace two PCs (one an XP and the other Vista).  The new PCs are both 64bit Windows 8 machines, and each presently has an evaluation copy of Norton Internet Security on it.

What will be the best way to ensure that I clean Norton Internet Security off of the two new machines, and that I can efficiently transfer the two copies of Norton 360 from the old machines to the new?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,865
Solutions: 380

Re: Must replace two PCs with N360

I'd suggest dealing with the new PCs first so deactivate the two older PCs that are going out of service, at least so far as NIS is concerned, by opening your Norton Account on line, identifying the two computers to be discontinued and using the dustbin icon to deactivate them.

That should leave your product showing 2 spare activations.

You would be well advised to uninstall the two trial installations of NIS before attempting to install your existing N 360 and if you use the Identity Safe it would be best to export the data files to a safe place off your main drive and making the two file formats the system offers. I don't think you really need to use the Norton Removal Tool that does a more thorough clean up but see what the N 360 experts suggest.

After you remove the NIS trials the easy way to install the current version of N 360 is to use the Download option in your Norton Account since that will download and install the current version already activated with your key. After installation completes run Live Update a few times until it is fully updated; watch for reboot instructions and do at least one.

That should do it but check to see if I've missed anything after some of the experts have a chance to see.

Hugh
DistEd2
Kudos: 412
Solutions: 81

Don't let @huwyngr's modesty fool you: if you look at his stats, he's about as "expert" as we get!

His instructions look correct and comprehensive to me, so I'd just go with "what he said" :smileyvery-happy:

Let us know how it works, or if you run into anything you need advice on.

V/R,

--DistEd2

yank
Kudos: 2,250
Solutions: 513

Hi tomheavr,

I really hate to say this, but I do believe there are errors in @huwyngr 's post.

The dustbins (trashcans) he refers to are in fact located in Norton Management.

Once logged into Norton Management (you can use the Manage widget on N 360's main page), select My Account  and then Product Details.  Select the product you are interested in,  and a Manage My Installs area wil appear towards the bottom of the page.  Select the trashcan under Remove License for the systems you desire to remove N360 from.

Regardless of the difference in instructions - be sure to Export your ID Safe Data (if you use it) as a precaution.

Different users and different Guru's recommend different things,  I feel that it is necessary to remove the trials via the Control Panel (Programs and Features) reboot, run the Norton Removal Tool (which should reboot) and then go back to Norton Mangement on your 3rd system, select the Home tab and select Add Device.  It will give you the option to install the product on another device (system) - full instructions and video  .  Do it to both new systems.

Sorry if this causes any confusion as you have received two sets of instuctions, but come back with questions on anything yu do not undestand.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,865
Solutions: 380

See why I leave it to the real experts ...

Yank is right about Norton Management although in self defence if you don't have it I think going to Norton Account will pretty well force it on you and in the latest versions it is an icon Manage on the GUI since it is incorporated in the application itself.

Hugh
Visitor
tomheavr

Thank you for the guidance.

I'll give it a go!

Tom

Visitor
tomheavr

I got the copies transferred without a problem!

Thanks for the help!

Tom

yank
Kudos: 2,250
Solutions: 513

tomheavr wrote:

I got the copies transferred without a problem!

Thanks for the help!

Tom

You are most welcome and you know where to find us if you need us again!