Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

My Account - server not available. try again later...

One of the installs of Norton 360, still a few days remaining for current subscription, will not give me the sign-in screen for My Norton Account.  The message on a webpage shows this:

Norton Account
Application Error (signed in as null)
The server is not available at this time.  Please try again later.  If this problem persists please contact technical support.
(button which says, [CONTINUE])

My other install of Norton 360 (different machine) shows a sign-in page and I sign in successfully, no problem.

The "server not available" message is troublesome.  Any comment on what this means?  Will I expect trouble when I renew subscription and try to update renewal status on the machine which is rendering the "server not available" message? 

PapauZ
Topics: 392
Kudos: 1,025
Solutions: 374

Re: My Account - server not available. try again later...

Hi,

can you please tell us the exact version of your Norton product?
1. Open the main window
2. Click on Help & Support -> About menu
3. On the About window find the version number (it will look like this: 5.1.0.29)

Thanks!

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.3.0.12

Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

[ Edited ]

Machine which reaches My Norton Account successfully:  Norton 360 version 4.3, Windows Vista. 

Machine which reaches "server not available" when click to My Norton Account:  Norton 360 version 2.5, Windows Vista.

No problems should be expected on either machine, since the install of version 2.5 is to be supported for at least one more year.  That install also shows a brown "Verify" button on the main Norton 360 screen.  My plan is to wait until Symantec receives subscription renewal payment, and then connect the version 4.3 machine for checking or activating renewal status; after that I will try to do the same with the version 2.5 machine.  Meanwhile, the v2.5 machine is still able to take LiveUpdates and do scans, which I ran earlier today.

EDIT: I should clarify, reaching My Norton Account was done through the Norton 360 program, not by going to the website through the browser alone.

Spam Squasher
CyberLife

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click Tools > Internet Options.

3. Click the Security tab, and then under Select a zone to view or change security settings, click Trusted sites.

4. Next to Trusted sites, click the Sites button.

5. In the Trusted sites window, under add this website to the trusted zone, add the following sites:

http://mynortonaccount.com

https://mynortonaccount.com

6. Click Close.

7. In the Internet Options window, click Apply, and then click OK.

CyberLife :)
PapauZ

You can update everya machine to version 5.0. It is a free update.

Here are the steps how you should do the update procedure:

1. If you use the feature, please backup your Identity Safe data (Settings -> Identity Protection -> Backup)
2. Download latest Norton 360 installer:
- www.norton.com/n360s_5 Standard with 2GB Online Storage
- www.norton.com/n360p_5 Premier with 25GB Online Storage
- www.norton.com/n360sne_5 Standard Netbook Edition with 2GB Online Storage
- www.norton.com/n360pne_5 Premier Netbook Edition with 25GB Online Storage
- for other languages than English please go to the Norton Update Center: www.norton.com/nuc
3. Download Norton Removal Tool: www.norton.com/nrt
4. Disconnect from internet
5. Remove the old Norton 360 version from Start Menu or from Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs
6. Reboot
7. Run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot (repeat it 2-3 times)
8. Install Norton 360 version 5 with the downloaded installer
9. Reconnect to the internet
10. Activate Norton 360 version 5 with the same key you have for the older version
11. Run Live Update until you get no new updates
12. Restore your Identity Safe data (Settings ->Identity Protection -> Restore)

You can check how the Norton Removal Tool works in this video.

Let us know the results.

Contributor
HoboNeil

A workaround for this is to temporarily disable your firewall when activating/registering the product. Just toggle the firewall switch in the main interface to Off. After it's successful, turn it on again and run liveupdate.

Also, try redoing it. At the third attempt, a webpage usually comes up giving you instructions to select all what is on the webpage (ctrl-A) and then to copy (ctrl-C). Once you go back to the activation/registration interface of Norton, it will show that the product is activated like magic!

Hope this helps.

Neil

Best of luck!
Neil

*please click on the star when a post resolves your issue*
Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

Thanks for the suggestions HoboNeil and CyberLife.  Revising subscription status on both machines' installs was smooth with no problems.  (There was another member's post explaining what to do for possible "Application Error"  Server unavailable message; or was that the description of getting version 5 or was that how to enable the Account website?; I can't see your post right now because the Compose Post Message screen blocks all posts from view).

The brown "Verify" button on the version 2.5 product is just the link to check online for current subscription status.  This feature worked perfectly; now 382 days left on subscription.   Note that the version 2 of Norton 360 has no "Check Subscription Status" item in the Support menu.

The way found to workaround the Application Error, Server Unavailable message was to Sign Out (since I was signed in as "null"), then click on Sign In, manually fill in my username and password, and this put me into my MyNortonAccount page perfectly; so I am not sure if trying to add the page/site to trusted sites in Security Settings is necessary or not. 

This then is partially resolved.   

Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

PapauZ,

I have another question but about your description for installing the upgrade to version 5.  I am downloading the necessary files now.  When it comes time to installing the upgrade of version 5, since this is going to ge an upgrade, and it will be on Windows Vista, do I run the installer as administrator?  Or since the user password would have already been entered to get into the computer's user could I simply run the installer without the right-click-run-as-administrator method?  Also, would I need to reenter the product key for this installation again, or is there an option in the install to indicate that I am UPGRADING and not simply giving a fresh installation?

Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

PapuaZ or anybody:

WHICH LINK to N.R.T.?  There are two of them that are related in the link in PapuaZ's description.  One link says, "Norton 360", but the next link says, "I have a norton 2006/2007/2008/2009/20010/2011 product".  So not clear.  Those two links appear to have different addresses.  The Norton 360 currently needing to be upgraded was called, "Norton 360 2008", and was the version 2.  One of those links must be the correct one and one must be the wrong one.  How do I know, since those descriptions both fit the product, yet the addresses are not the same; and I assume the NRT is also different for both.

PapauZ

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Norton Removal Tool is the same for every Norton product :).

You only need to download this file: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

And for the run as admin question: you can run it as admin as well, it is not necessary as Windows will ask you after the double click to do it...

You will need to retype the serial key too. (It is saved in My Documents\Symantec, you can copy it from there, it is faster ;))