Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
camchas

My Browser has been Hijacked

[ Edited ]

I have a virus or malware (or other unwanted interference)--the name "Somoto" appears in the title bar when it hijacks my browser.

I have seen many references to "Somoto" on the web, and to the "Somoto toolbar", but so far have not been able to get rid of it. I have scanned with Norton 360 (3.8.0.41) and with Norton Power Eraser but have not found anything yet.

Looking for any assistance. Thanks.

Regular Contributor
BanMidou

Re: My Browser has been Hijacked

[ Edited ]

Hi Welcome to Norton Community

Please give Malware bytes Antimalware Scan a try 

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Please post the og file of the details of a scan if any threats found

Midou

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

[ Edited ]

If you are using Firefox, go to Tools > Add-ons, select the Somoto add-on and then click Uninstall. Also, check in the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and if you find Somoto program listed there, uninstall it. Then restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then run the Norton Power Eraser again.

I suggest to upgrade to latest version- Norton 360 5.0. You can use the Upgrade Center for installing the latest version of Norton 360. After installing the Norton program, run LiveUpdate repeatedly untill you see the message "No more updates" and then restart the computer. Let us know the results.

Yogesh

Visitor
camchas

[ Edited ]

Yogesh,

Thanks for suggestions.

Running Windows Vista, Service Pack 2, Somoto does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list in Control Panel.

Will upgrade Norton 360 to vers. 5.

Appreciate the assistance.

Charles

Visitor
camchas

[ Edited ]

Thanks for this suggestion.

Using Malwarebyte Anti-Malware, nothing shows up under the quick scan. Under two Full Scans, 1 infected file showed up fairly early in an approx. 90 min. scan, but both times it ended with an error message saying that Malwarebyte had stopped working.

I checked the Malwarebyte website for possible solutions to this, but they all seemed beyond my limited computer skills to implement.

I also scanned with the Windows virus detection and with Spybot Search and Destroy, but neither found infected files.

Appreciate your help.

Fizzyolgist

[ Edited ]

I was able to get rid of the Somoto Toolbar with a two step process.

I ran Hijack This  (http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html) which found two references to somoto.  I checked the appropriate boxes and let hijack this "fix" the problem.  Hijack this fixes the problem by removing the registy entries which stops the program from running.

I let Hijack This generate a log file.  In the log file listing I found two references to Somoto; a BHO (browser helper object) and a toolbar.  Both references pointed to   C:\Program Files\somototoolbar\vmntemplateX.dll.  I followed up with the reference located in the Program Files directory and I found an uninstaller.  Running the uninstaller seemed to remove the program completely rather than just eliminating the registry entries.

I will have to keep an eye on the computer to make sure that the above "fix" is truely permanent and that I have no other strange behavior going on.

Visitor
camchas

[ Edited ]

Fizzyolgist wrote:

Running the uninstaller seemed to remove the program completely rather than just eliminating the registry entries.

Thanks for this information. Could you say a little more about what "uninstaller" was used to remove the program? Is this an application that you have on hand, found on-line, something else?

Appreciate your time.

keflon

[ Edited ]

This is a bloody hijacker that gets installed with some free software.

I installed SPLITCAM and it installed a thing called SPLITCAM TOOBAR.

I managed to unistall this and the hijacker was gone.

Then when you uninstall it, you restart the computer, on comes a page asking why you uninstalled.

I managed to get from the page-code, the address to where this information is sent.

I sent an email full of bad things about that company but the email returned with a "unknown email" indication.

So whoever creates this does it with the intention of harming.