Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
prabs99
Accepted Solution

N360 Suport

[ Edited ]

How does one get support that actually tries to solve the problem instead of just going through the norton removal tool and reinstalling the product that is done by the support techs. I have been with three support tech during the this past week, but they all do the same thing, the problem does not go away. So, finally decided to downgrade my N360.

Also how does one get keys to work? I exceeded my activations, because of the constant reinstalls and installs.

floplot
Topics: 209
Kudos: 2,014
Solutions: 361

Re: N360 Suport

Hello prabs99

For any problems having to do  with keys and activations, you have to contact customer support. The best way of doing that is thru the live chat process. Please have your key handy and explain to them what has happened.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/contact/contact.jsp?pvid=cs

This is the link for US/Can. If you need a different location, please consult your local Symantec site for the local free chat customer support link.

Please give this a try and let us know how you made out. Good luck

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,000
Kudos: 2,713
Solutions: 368

Re: N360 Suport

prabs,

floplot has given you good information on sorting out your problem with activation and the effect of repeated reinstallations. This is one are where CHAT SUPPORT is first class from the feedback we get. So get onto them and tell them what caused the loss of activations and I know they will sort it out and if you explain that it was Norton doing the reinstallations maybe they will give you a little bonus <g>

For your technical problem we will be glad to try and help but we need some more intormation from you -- here's my boilerplate:

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn

If you have the COMCAST version of Norton 360 / Security Suite and not the normal commercial version please be sure to tell us.

Please tell us exactly what the problem is and any background like what seems to trigger it, what you are doing when it happens and so on.

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well.

Look forward to hearing from you -- there are plenty of users with experience here.

Hugh
Contributor
prabs99

Re: N360 Support

My OS is Win XP w/SP3. Upgraded from Norton 360 v3 to v4. Then all of sudden cannot load N360 (both the UI and tray icon). The first online support did the reinstall after using the Norton removal tool. That didn't work. The "supervisor" said that the problem was compatibility with NSW v12. He used the Norton Removal tool and removed everything and reinstalled N360 v4. That worked for a couple of restarts and then the same problem. When I went to the online support for the 3rd time, they did the same thing and same thing happened. Finally, frustrated, I went to N360 v3. My original thought was Malwarebyes's Real time protection, I have removed it after my second support call. Whenever I try to restart or shutdown, Windows forces me to end task ccsvchst.exe. Apparently that is normal according to the support folks. If you need more info, let me know.

P.S.. It is retail N360, downloaded from Symantec.

huwyngr

[ Edited ]

prabs,

Thanks for all the details. That helps.

If you have Malwarebytes real time protection then that is definitely a potential problem since it means you have two active in the background security programs running at the same time.  That might be indicated by it disabling one part of N360.

Normally we recommend that if you need to scan and deal with something that has gotten through the Norton defense then to use the free versions of MBAM or SAS not the paid for versions.

Someone posted recently that you can disable the real time scanning of MBAM and juset leave it installed to scan when commanded -- could you do that?

I'm not sure about conflicts with NSW -- is it the standard or the premier version (the latter includes Norton AntiVirus). Note that Symantec have discontinued NSW as a product.  http://www.symantec.com/norton/products 

Since some of the utilities in NSW are duplicated in one form or another in N360 I personally would uninstall NSW.

Unless someone with direct experience with N360 has suggestions -- give them a little time to catch up after the weekend -- I would download and run the Norton Removal Tool and least twice with restarts after each run

This link: Symantec Norton Removal Tool. will direct you to the current Symantec Norton Removal Tool.

and then I would install N360 V4 using this link which is the latest version:

New N360 V4:

Click on the link that matches your version:

Norton 360 v4 Standard: www.norton.com/n360s_4  <<== the version with 2 GB of online storage

Norton 360 v4 Premier: www.norton.com/n360p_4    <<== the version with 25 GB of online storage

Check for a while that that is running OK and then see what is suggested about the NSW.

Hugh
Contributor
prabs99

I dont Malwarebytes installed any more. I still have the same problem.

huwyngr

prabs,

It would not do any harm to run malwarebytes free version just in case there is something floating around trying to disable N360 from protecting you. Here's my boilerplate on MBAM/SAS free versions.

My first thought with malware that may have gotten through to your system is to run one or both successively of these two malware cleaner-uppers:

Malwarebyte

Superantispyware

I'm assuming of course that you can effectively and safely access the internet if necessary on a different computer.

Download and install the free versions since they do all you need by running on command, not in the background. Then update them to the latest definitions and run them in turn.

Both have a good reputation for cleaning up.

If by any chance they refuse to install or won't run after installing because malware is preventing them you can sometimes defeat the malware by changing the name of the exe file to anything except its real title!

Then I'd do the complete clean up I suggested earlier including removing NSW.

But I've asked for some help from others who may know N360 better.

Thanks for your patience.

Hugh
Contributor
prabs99

Followed your steps. N360 v4 works after the first restart, but after the second one, it does not. There are 2 ccsvchst.exe loaded, but that is it. Even double clicking on the icon on the dekstop does not bring the ui. The tray icon is missing as well.

huwyngr

Thanks -- did you also run MBAM and find the system clean ?

I have posted a request for help from other gurus who are more adept than I am at doing more than asking questions <g>

Hugh
Contributor
prabs99

Ran both Mbam and Superantispyware, both came out clean.