Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
hicountryrider

Re: N360 and Canon wireless printer software

delphinium wrote:

If you click on Start>Devices and Printers, is the HP listed as a device, or as default printer?  

If you have a home group, in Win 7, you will need to go to Network and Sharing>click on your wireless network connection> scroll down to activities>properties and make sure that all protocols, especially IPv6 is enabled.  If you are sharing without building a home group the IPv6 isn't an issue.

It is actually a Canon MG 5320 printer and yes, it is listed as the default printer.

All mentioned protocols are enabled.

I should elaborate that the printer software that is installed on the Sony laptop was installed via a USB connection. I originally tried to do a purely wireless installation but encountered the problem of the printer not being detected. I aborted the installation, re-ran the software and chose to connect to the printer via a USB connection. That allowed me to install all the various Canon printing software and the printer appears as the default. I then re-inserted the setup CD and the option exists now to Change the connection method from USB to wireless and that is where we stand now. No ability to complete the installation of the wireless MP drivers because the printer is not detected.

Hope this clarifies the situation. I am able to install the Canon printing software and use the printer as a USB connected printer. I just cannot install Canon's MP drivers to be able to access the printer wirelessly.

As stated in one of my other posts I was able to install the ALL the software including the Canon MP drivers on the HP laptop with no issues. I did have to make an adjustment in the Bitdefender settings to get the printer to print but I was able to install the software. The Sony and the HP are both less than 2 years old, both running Windows 7 64 Pro 64 bit and are totally update with drivers, patches and updates for all hardware and software.

I guess the only way to confirm that this issue is not being caused by N360 is to completely uninstall N360, uninstall all the Canon software and then attempt to re-install as a wireless connection.

Just my opinion but in all my years of working with computers the worst issues I've ever encountered are with printer software and AV software. I'm not dissing either Norton or Canon but this is really a PITA:smileymad:

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

hicountryrider wrote:
I guess the only way to confirm that this issue is not being caused by N360 is to completely uninstall N360, uninstall all the Canon software and then attempt to re-install as a wireless connection.

Have you tried disabling the Norton Firewall to see if that is the cause of the problem?

Contributor
hicountryrider

Yes, I did attempt that. No change in status. Still received the cannot detect printer error. As stated that seems to eliminate the firewall from being the cause but totally uninstalling N360 appears to be the only way to confirm that.

SendOfJive

No, if the firewall is disabled there is almost no chance that it is a Norton issue.  Found this on the Canon website under not seeing the printer on the network (there is also a Q&A for setup using WPS that you might want to try):

Make sure that the printer port is configured appropriately.

1. Log on as a user account with administrator privilege.

2. Select items from the Start menu as shown below.

• In Windows 7, select Devices and Printers from the Start menu.
  • In Windows Vista, select the Start menu > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Printers.
  • In Windows XP, select the Start menu > Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Printers and Faxes.

3. Open the properties of the printer driver for the machine.

• In Windows 7, right-click the "Canon XXX Printer" icon (where "XXX" is your machine's name), then select Printer properties.
  • In Windows Vista or Windows XP, right-click the "Canon XXX Printer" icon (where "XXX" is your machine's name), then select Properties.

4. Click the Ports tab to confirm the port settings.

Make sure that a port named "USBnnn" (where "n" is a number) with "Canon XXX Printer" appearing in the Printer column is selected for Print to the following port(s).

reference:
  • When the machine is used over LAN, the port name of the machine is displayed as "CNBJNP_xxxxxxxxxx". "xxxxxxxxxx" is the character string generated from the MAC address or a character string specified by the user when setting up the machine.
Contributor
hicountryrider

Appreciate that info. The port information is correct as the current printer install on the Sony is via a USB connection so it has the USBXXX designation. The port info on the HP laptop is CNBJNP_xxxxxxxxxx". "xxxxxxxxxx as it connects wirelessly.

Network settings for tthe Sony and HP are identical so that shouldn't be causing any issue. The DHCP client info in the Belkin router setup only shows connected desktop, Sony & HP computers, not printers. Not sure how that's supposed to work.

If after uninstalling N360 I'm able to successfully do the Canon wireless installation I'll post back with details.

SendOfJive

[ Edited ]

hicountryrider wrote:
The DHCP client info in the Belkin router setup only shows connected desktop, Sony & HP computers, not printers. Not sure how that's supposed to work.

That could be your problem, if the router is not assigning an IP address for the printer.  Some routers have a user-configured setting to restrict the number of addresses that the router will hand out - have you limited the number of allowed devices?  Also, check your WPA passphrase carefully to make sure all devices have it exactly correct - it is case sensitive - if the printer has an incorrect password it will see the network but won't be able to join it.  To test, you can turn off WPA encryption temporarily to see if the printer then gets an address and shows as online - if so you just need to correct the passphrase and reenable WPA.  (Note that Norton may block communication with the printer during the test because your network is insecure without encryption, but once you reenable WPA and set up the printer correctly Norton will no longer block it).

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

[ Edited ]

If the other systems can print, then the printer must be on the network.  Especially if the HP can print over the WiFi.

That and the fact that the Sony shows all the other devices "offline" in the security map is why I thought (and still think) it must be a windows or network error on the Sony laptop.

As far as I know, Norton gets the security map info dorectly from the laptops network adapter.

You never did say if the laptop was networked with the others.  I'm not sure if the printer would work though a windows 7 home group, I always assumed network printers all worked though a good old fashioned workgroup.

If you can share a folder on the desktop and access it over the wifi to the sony through a workgroup network, I see no reason why the printer does not work and all the other devices show as offline.

Dave

SendOfJive

DaveH wrote:

If the other systems can print, then the printer must be on the network.

Good point.  There is nothing so vexing as a networking problem,,,,,,  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
hicountryrider

OK, update. I uninstalled N360 v5 through the Control Panel, leaving the settings, quarantine, etc. I then uninstalled the Canon MP drivers that were installed for using the printer via a USB connection. I left all other Canon printer software installed.

I then used the Canon installation CD to install the Canon MP wireless drivers and SUCCESS!:smileyvery-happy: No hiccups whatsoever. Installation completed and test page printed right away.

I then reinstalled N360 V5 and the printer still had communication with the Sony VAIO laptop. I initiated the Network Security Map and all devices that were turned on showed up as ONLINE.

I did not make any Windows 7 or networking changes when doing this. Everything exactly the same as my last unsuccessful attempt when N360 v5 was still installed.

No thoughts as to why I had the original installation problems. Maybe something was not quite right when I first installed N360 v5 months ago. By uninstalling N360 and reinstalling it perhaps whatever glitch was present was resolved.

Anyone else encountering this particular problem trying to install Canon wireless printer software on a Windows 7 system running N360 should consider either uninstalling N360, installing the printer software and then reinstalling N360 or maybe just doing the uninstall and reinstall of N360. I probably should have done this early on:smileysad:

Last but not least I would like to thank everyone who took the time to reply and offer possible solutions.

SendOfJive

Hi highcountryrider,

Glad to hear you were able to get everything working.