Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
maxsverdlove

N360.exe High CPU Usage

Wow, this new Norton 360 v. 21 is horrible.... so many bugs... is there anyway to go back????

Right now N360.exe is refusing the shutdown or calm down and has very very high CPU usage.  It's currently stuck at 12.xx in Process Explorer..

It's making my cursor very jumpy.

Rebooting DOES NOT FIX IT!

HELP!

Regular Contributor
intesec

Re: N360.exe High CPU Usage

Hi maxsverdlove

My cursor jumps once now and again and I have NIS 2012 I think it’s a windows bug.

Check for Norton updates manually or right click the Norton icon in the task bar and click, run live updates, and then recheck until there are no more updates restarting the computer as requested.

Try running autofix by clicking the Norton icon, click support, click get support (or right click the Norton icon in the task bar and click Get support) let it run then restart the computer.  It should tell you if any items where fixed.  If you get an error message about MBAM then just click on skip on the error screen.

You can use your disc if you have got one but you’ll have a large amount of downloading to get up to date as the disc is frozen with the version at the time of its manufacture.

You need to check whether you have standard or premier, as the key will only work for the version you have purchased

Norton 360 standard, download link below.

www.norton.com/n360s_20

Norton 360 premier, download link below.

www.norton.com/n360p_20

Download Norton removal tool link below.

www.Norton.com/nrt

After downloading the above use the process below to remove the Norton product.

Disconnect from the internet.

Uninstall using windows add/remove programme.

Restart the computer.

Run the removal tool.

Restart the computer.

Install Norton, you’ll need to activate it, run live updates as many times as it takes to get, no more live updates, restarting as required.

You might like to backup the personal data and you’ll need to backup or export in both formats your identity safe and any other users identity safe if it is used, before doing the above.

If you have any questions please ask before you start?

ATB

intesec

Contributor
maxsverdlove

Thanks for your reply... but I've already done all of that...

I've been using N360 since version 1, and before that NIS for many many years... I've never had this issue...

I've used Removal Tool, reinstalled, rebooted, run registry cleaners... I've been on with tech support... they have no idea either..

This is ridiculous... my computer is almost not usable... if it wasn't an i7 quad-core with 16GB RAM I wouldn't be able to type this to you...  It's currently at about 40% CPU at IDLE!  It's not doing anything!

I'm running Win 7 Pro with all updates installed... and the version is Premier 21.0.2.1.

I've seen other threads and the support staff simply says they are making it up...

See the screenshots below taken from SysInternal's Process Explorer:

9-24-2013 1-00-29 PM.jpg9-24-2013 1-01-16 PM.jpg

yank
Kudos: 2,250
Solutions: 512

Hi maxsverdlove,

I can't see your images until they are approved by the mod, but while I'm waiting to see them, please try the following.

Click on Performance from the Main page of N 360, once the page flips and is populated, insure the CPU Tab on the bottom of the graph is selected.  Please tell us which process is using all the CPU.  You can move you mouse over the peaks which will display a small blue arrow , place it on one of the peaks and left click it and it will display  by % which processes are using what amount of CPU.  Please bear in mind that the blue peaks are Windows and the Yellow peaks are Norton processes.  This may give us an idea of what may be running.

Contributor
maxsverdlove

I checked that out... It's always N360.exe.  the minimum value for CPU was 12.43 that I found... the highest I saw was 43.2  - I literally can't get any work done this way

yank
Kudos: 2,250
Solutions: 512

Food for thought - does SysInternals Process Explorer run in real-time?
peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

maxsverdlove

You say you followed all intesec's instructions, but you image shows you are on version 21. If you followed the instructions, you would be back on Version 20 (2013), as you asked in your original post.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
maxsverdlove

Either way.... there was an update that came through a few hours ago (obviously after I made my original posts).... it seems to have cleared it up for the most part.  Still a little more usage than before, but certainly much much better!

Btw, I was told by tech support that 12.5% is approximately the correct amount of CPU usage based on my type of processor.  I didn't realize that all of the processes were now built into 1 process N360.exe.  That's why I was so shocked, instead of a whole bunch of small CPU processes, now its one.

I'm happy again.  Hopefully further updates will even get better....

Max

Contributor
maxsverdlove

spoke too soon... it comes and goes... but still not half as bad as earlier...

Wondering if its maybe a driver conflict... I have no idea which one though...

Contributor
maxsverdlove

OK, I just finally understood what the comment above was giving... I was able to go back to version 20... my problems went away... THANK GOD... I was going crazy...

I'll give version 21 a try again in a few months... maybe some bug will get worked out... if not, I'll just stick with v 20 as long as I can...

Here are the screenshots showing v 20's usage... WHAT A DIFFERENCE... I seriously can't believe that there woud be a 11% CPU Usage increase between versions... That's ridiculous... The Norton Tech said this was normal.  Please tell me this is wrong!

9-25-2013 9-34-08 AM.jpg

9-25-2013 9-34-34 AM.jpg