Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
BruiserBrody

NSS Full System Scan and Other Tasks Stop Working After 3 Weeks...

I've have a recurring issue with Norton Security Suite. I have the latest version of NSS 20.3.1.22

After installing a fresh copy, after using NRT to remove all traces of the product before hand, I usually change the Full System Scan from 30 days down to 7 days. In the past, I've even set it to run at an exact time and day (for example, Friday night at 8pm). It would always run the first and second week. Come the third week of it being installed, no taks but Quick Scan, Auto LiveUpdater, and Pulse Update would run. Tasks like Norton Insight, PC Tuneup tasks, Insight Optimizer, and Full System Scan would stop running after it has been installed for three weeks.

This seems weird. Why would it just stop working after three weeks? So what I end up doing is un-installing, using NRT, and re-installing the product all the time just so I can get a functioning anti-virus product running. This absolutely should not be what I need to keep doing to be constantly protected.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on with it?

Regular Contributor
intesec

Re: NSS Full System Scan and Other Tasks Stop Working After 3 Weeks...

Hi BruiserBrody

The latest version is currently 20.4.0.40 but having the previous version shouldn’t cause any problems.

What happens if you try a manual full scan?

Can you check your history for scans as I have set auto scan to test for another person who was having a problem and noticed that the scan would run early or late and sometimes not at all and then would run on time.

Have you or have you ever had any other security software including any trial security software on the computer including Norton? 

Try running autofix by clicking the Norton icon, click support, click get support and let it run then restart the computer.  It should tell you if any items where fixed.  If you get an error message about MBAM then just click on skip on the error screen.

ATB

Intesec

peterweb
Kudos: 1,177
Solutions: 305

intesec wrote:

Hi BruiserBrody

The latest version is currently 20.4.0.40 but having the previous version shouldn’t cause any problems.

ATB

Intesec

The Comcast supplied Norton Security Suite, NSS, has not caught up to the main stream Norton products. They are often a version behind, which has been a thorn in the side of Comcast users.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
BruiserBrody

I've noticed that if I unchecked "run during idle" it will run without issue. And in the past I have gotten it to run with manual full scan.

But what really makes no sense is that all these idle tasks run perfect for two weeks and then just happen to stop working. That to me, since it happens each and every single time I have to re-install the software, seems like a bug in the software or something. I mean, if it was my computer causing this issue, then it would happen all the time, not work fine for two weeks before hand, right? Seems weird.

And no, Norton is the only installed security software.

And I've done the autofix thing as well.

Regular Contributor
intesec

Hi BruiserBrody

A while ago I posted on this forum that Norton on a full scan was only scanning half the files, which I thought was a bug or something.  But Norton has what could be described as intelligence so it was skipping files that it knew there was no change or use of.  So as a test on the third week perform activities that are not your normal activities, download some data, uninstall and reinstall programmes, create new folders rename files and paste then into the folders, rip some music cd’s and so on.

ATB

intesec

yank
Kudos: 2,063
Solutions: 470

BrusierBrody - is this by chance happening on a laptop?

Contributor
BruiserBrody

No, regular PC. Windows 7 professional.

Contributor
BruiserBrody

Another thing I noticed with full system scan. When it ran in the past, I've noticed that it no longer informs the user that the task is currently in progress. It use to have a side pop-in like all other background tasks letting you know it was performing the task.  Is this still supposed to happen and mine for some reason no longer did it, or is this just a feature that was removed in some recent upgrade?

Also, still this morning, nothing has changed as far as these tasks runnin.

And I just noticed that reply from intesec. I pretty much download something daily and delete things regularly, including yesterday and this morning, and no change with this problem.

Contributor
BruiserBrody

This is still an issue. Does anyone have a clue how to fix it?

Regular Contributor
intesec

Hi BruiserBrody

Here’s some things you might like to try?

Can you check in your history to confirm what Norton tasks are being performed if you double click on the task in history it will open up a window with more detail?

I have NIS so don’t know the 360 path to insight protection that can be turned on or off also check to see if you can find notifications that can be turned on or off?

Set the full scan to run every day and uncheck idle time then restart the computer, set the computer to never turn off as Norton will not wake the computer from sleep or hibernation check in the history to see if it does run?  I mentioned previously that a person was having a problem with schedule full scans and after asking them to do this there where no more post so I don’t know if it had any affect on forcing the Norton product out of a bug.

As you wrote, un-installing, using NRT can you clarify that the below process was used to remove Norton as it does seem to be a better way to remove Norton (see the link below) which if you haven’t done it like this you may like to try it?

Check post 8,10 and 11

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Norton-360-Premium-amp-Continues-Error-Message-8504-104/m-...

To uninstall any security software use the windows add/remove programme first then restart the computer, then run the removal tool, then restart the computer. 

If you have run the removal tool for Norton then, reinstall Norton, run live updates as many times as it takes to get, no more live updates, restarting as required.

You might like to backup the personal data and you’ll need to backup or export in both formats your identity safe and any other users identity safe if it is used, before doing the above.

ATB

intesec