Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
JohnAbrenilla

Norton 360 Freezes Windows 8

I hate to post on this forum, but I've checked all the posts associated with 360 freezing and have implemented some of the changes below: 

-  windows defender is off

-  Run the "get support" tool to apply fixes

-  unchecked the scan of compressed files

-  checkdisk 

-  Scan in safe mode

-  Live update

-  Installation and utilization of Norton Power Eraser

-  Execution of Norton Repair and Reinstall 

-  Run manually 

-  Run Scheduled

Computer specs: 

Sony Vaio S Series

Intel i5 processor

8 gigs of Ram

Windows 8

My computer freezes during the various scans, sometimes it works, but most of the time it will freeze.  I've tried isolating each task and running manually but that still froze the computer.  I've received a frozen computer on every option offered on Norton 360 and I can't seem to find the reason why.  It's a hit or miss and I'm unsure where to go from here.  The computer's fan will kick into high gear and everything will be frozen.  I wouldn't even be able to run task manager.  

Anyone seeing the same issues?  I'm afraid that Norton might fry this computer since I run scans when I'm not at my computer or office.  I can't believe I'm having this issue especially paying so much to get this tool.  

I would appreciate any help in advance

yank
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 512

Re: Norton 360 Freezes Windows 8

Hi JohnAbrenilla,

Since you tried running the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, I would suggest you try a clean install of N 360.

If you use Identity Safe for your Logins, please back it up (export) the data so it can be Restored (Imported) after you install a fresh copy of N 360.

Please remove the copy of N 360 you have installed, using the Control Panel uninstall via Add/Remove or Programs & Features.

Download and run the Norton Remvoal Tool once and reboot after it is completed. The NRT can be found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUs...

Download a fresh copy and install:

N360 Standard - www.norton.com/n360s_20
 or
N360 Premier - www.norton.com/n360p_20

Once installation is complete, open N 360 and manually Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates found". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates found" and then reboot one last time.

Once totally updated, don't forget to Restore/Import your ID Safe data.

Please keep us posted.

Visitor
JohnAbrenilla

Update:  I tried everything you asked me to:  

-  Uninstall Norton

-  Use the Norton Removal Tool

-  Reinstall Norton 

-  Run all live updates until there are none. 

-  Restart the computer

On the very first full system scan, the machine froze and my computer so **bleep** hot.  I was hopeful that this was going to do the trick but after reading so many posts it's obvious that Norton 360 has a wide spread issue of freezing computers.  Why did Norton spend so much money and charge so much if they knew something like this was going to happen?  Norton needs to invest into a good R and D lab.

Do you have any other suggestions?  I'm so frustrated with this product.. I've never paid this much to nearly ruin my computer equipment.  

Visitor
JohnAbrenilla

regardless of the outcome, i forgot to thank you for your suggestions.  I appreciate it. 

yank

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that didn't clear up your situation.  Let's try to dig deeper.

You said on the very first full system scan, the machine froze.  Was this a manual full system scan, a scheduled scan, or perhaps an automatic scan.  Did you iniitate it from Tasks > Run Scans > Full System Scan?   

I am wondering if you go to  Settings > Tasks Scheduling > Automatic Tasks Tab > (please make note of the tasks that were checked) and then uncheck all of the Tasks, and then go to the Scheduling Tab and select Weekly and todays day of the week (Friday for today) and select a time 15 minutes from the present time and then uncheck Run only at idle time, Apply.  This will schedule a Full System Scan 15 minutes from now and since it is a scheduled scan it will not include those Tasks that are normally accomplished as part of a Full System Scan when run manually. 

It may sound  confusing, but please try it.  Also please let us know which  Tasks you had check marked on the Automatic Tasks Tab prior to unchecking them.  I am trying to see if we can narrow the culprit down to a certain task.

We'll be awaiting your response. 

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

John,

<< and my computer so **bleep** hot.  >>

That sounds like a cooling problem -- are you sure your fans are clear of fluff and working OK? Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Hugh
Visitor
JohnAbrenilla

I checked the fans and they're clear of any dust or obstruction.  Norton 360 will freeze if you run a manual scan.  if you run an automatic scan...which will have to be when you're idle, you have to make sure that you save all of your work because it will freeze  30% of the time.  

Ridiculous... especially after paying $70 for this thing. 

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

John,

Thanks for the details.

I'll let those who know Norton 360 try to help you.

It is already known that Windows 8 has a problem with security applications, not just Norton, and that Microsoft is working with  some of the major companies to try to figure out what is happening.

Whether what you are experiencing is in any way related but I think it is highly unlikely to be inherent in Norton 360.

Do you have any answers for

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Norton-360-Freezes-Windows-8/m-p/931915#M88645  ?

Hugh
yank

JohnAbrenilla wrote:

I checked the fans and they're clear of any dust or obstruction.  Norton 360 will freeze if you run a manual scan.  if you run an automatic scan...which will have to be when you're idle, you have to make sure that you save all of your work because it will freeze  30% of the time.  

Ridiculous... especially after paying $70 for this thing. 

Have you tired a scheduled scan with the automatic tasks disabled as I suggested in my prevous post?