Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
David_S

Norton 360 Liveupdate - 'not all downloads successful'

I have had 360 Ver 3 on 3 PCs for c. 2 years and the product has worked perfectly well over this period.  Liveupdate has worked fine.  I recently renewed my subscription for the 3 PCs and noticed that on 2 of the PCs Lliveupdate runs but then comes up with a message along the lines of ' ..... liveupdate has not successfully downloaded all of your updates ...'. 

I contacted the service desk and on their advice downloaded the 'Intelligent Updater' tool.  Although this appeared to fix the problem for a couple of days, I'm now getting the 'big red tick' telling me to 'Fix' my updates and running LU gives the above error message again

I have reinstalled Norton 360 on 1 of the 2 'problem' PCs but still get the same problem.  Running the Intelligent Updater does not make any difference.

I spent 3 -4 hours yesterday speaking to someone in the Philippenes service desk; they remotely scanned my PC 'within an inch of it's life' and found nothing.

The remaining PC works perfeclty well; nice green 'ticks'

Any suggestions ??

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Re: Norton 360 Liveupdate - 'not all downloads successful'

Hello David_S

Welcome to the Norton Users Discussion Forum

Can you please tell us some information about your computer-----operating system and service pack level,? Also, what version of N360 do you have installed now? You can check in the about part under help and support. The latest version should be 3.8.0.41.

How did you reinstall N360 and how did you remove it before reinstalling?  Are you running any other real time security programs?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Visitor
David_S

Hi.  Thanks for replying ....ref your questions.

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3.0

The Norton 360 Product is Version: 3.0.0.134.  I recognise that this an old version but I was running the new version when the problem arose.  I have had to revert to this older version as this is one I have in a zip file.

I unistalled Norton 360 by the Windows Uninstall option which takes you to the Norton Uninstall tool anyway.  I reinstalled Norton through the zip file above and have aso tried the 'Intelligent Updater' but this makes no difference.

I'm not running any other real time security tools but have previously successfully run Spybot in the background without any ill effects.

I don't if it's coincidence, but the problem arose immediately after I renewed my 12 month subscription for 3 PCs; the machine on which I renewed the subscription works fine ans runs Liveupdate successfully.  The problem just occurs on my other 2 machines.

I'm no 'techie' but I have looked at the Intelligent updater Text log file and this has a number of 'Failure' messages within it suggesting Registry key problems.  (see attached).

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

[ Edited ]

Download Norton Removal Tool from this LINK. Run the removal tool multiple times(2-3 times) to make sure that all components are uninstalled completely. Go to your Norton Account using this LINK and get the Product Key. You may require this same Product Key for activating the Norton program. You can use the Upgrade Center for installing Norton program you had. After installing the Norton program, run LiveUpdate repeatedly untill you see the message "No more updates" and then restart the computer. Let us know the results.

Yogesh

floplot

Hello David_S

You can also verify that you actually got a renewal for 3 machines and not for 1 only. It seems like the activation only worked for the one computer and not for the other 2 computers. Have you checked to see if the other 2 computers were actually activated? If you are still having a problem after doing what was suggested, I would suggest a free chat with customer support to straighten out the activation problem.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/contact/contact.jsp?pvid=cs

This is the link for US/Can. If you need a different location, please consult your local Symantec site for the local free chat customer support link.

Visitor
JK123

I have been challenged with Norton 360 on a Windows 7 machine.  Cannot get it to function, and now cannot even get it to uninstall.  Have tried the downloads from Norton (buDump and Norton Removal Tool), Windows uninstall, and also in Safe Mode.  None of these work.  Finally got a Norton Chat analyst to agree that Norton 360 will not (always) work with Windows 7 and that Mc Afee is likely the best answer.  Too bad, as Norton has worked well on our XP machines -- guess they did not expend the effort to upgrade capabilities for Windows 7.

Visitor
David_S

Yogesh, the short answer is .....  it didn't work. 

I ran the two programmes in the first link BUDump and the Norton Removal Tool) a couple of times, went to the update centre and downloaded the latest version of Norton 360 (Version 3.5.2.11) and have run live update several times.  I still get the same message (ie ' .... not all of the updates have been successful ...').  I have even run the 'Intelligent updater a couple of times and rebooted my PC more thimes than I can remember.

I have looked at the IntelligenUpdater.txt file that's produced after the run and see there are a lines in th filethat say 'REG FAILURE:  Failed while reading the value for the key named ..'.  I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Any other ideas what I can do ??

Thanks

floplot

Hello David_S

Did you use the free chat with customer support to get your other 2 computers activated? It sounds like to me that there is a problem with the activation and synchronizing of the other 2 computers with your account. This is the type of problem that customer support can fix if there is a problem with activation.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/contact/contact.jsp?pvid=cs

This is the link for US/Can. If you need a different location, please consult your local Symantec site for the local free chat customer support link.

Visitor
David_S

Hi Floplot.

Thanks but I have spoken to the support line twice now; once when they told me about the 'Intelligent Updater' and the second time when I was taken thro' a full scan and a number of other online checks.  I have now been referred to the Norton 'Engineering' Dept who are due to call me back later today.  Hopefully they'll fix it.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Visitor
David_S

I thought British Telecom were bad ........ I booked 2 calls for the Engineering Dept to contact me to try to resolve my problem.  On both occasions nobody called; I had to call them.  When I did finally speak to a 'Supervisor', I spent c. 2 hours on the phone still without a solution.  At the end of the call it transpired that this guy was not from the Engineering Department but from the Technical Support Desk.  In the end he apologised and passed me across to the Engineering Departmenr only to be put in a queue for 25 mins.

So in the end after about 2.5 hours on the phone, I gave up ...........

Is there somewhere on the Norton site where I can download the latest version of Norton 360 Version 3 as a zip file; I have an early version.   I am loathed to try the 'reinstall' route.

Otherwise, I'll buy something else.:

smileymad: