Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
koopalive0303

Norton 360 Version: 3.0.0.135 keep turning off windows firewall

After I install the new version of Norton 360, it keeps turning off windows firewall every time after I restart my computer, and I have to manually turn windows firewall on every time I start my computer, because my school requires windows firewall to be on in order to get online. So is there a way I can keep both windows firewall and the Norton 360 firewall on?

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 263

Re: Norton 360 Version: 3.0.0.135 keep turning off windows firewall

In an simple answer, no. In a complex answer, yes but I'm not sure if it will give you problems down the road.  You can go and turn N360's fire wall off under Settings | Internet Settings | Smart Firewall.  Set that to OFF.  Accept all the windows and there you go.  Problem is that N360 is going to complain about it's Firewall being OFF so you will get warnings and messages about this.
Win7 x32 SP1
Symantec Employee
anubhav_savant

Do you remember saying yes (and not to bother again) to a prompt asking you to disable Windows firewall? If so, that may explain it. You can try a firewall reset (Settings -> Firewall -> Reset) and reboot. The prompt should come again to disable Windosws firewall. Remember to say no this time.
Regular Contributor

After turning firewall on in the Norton 360 v3.0.0.135.

Then go to windows firewall -> set it ON. A pop up message is displayed. Click "No" and then restart.

Then restart the system and check.

Both are viewed in the enabled option.

dbrisendine

So the user has Windows firewall on now without N360 turning it off.  Doesn't that interfere with system operations to have Windows Firewall ON and N360s Firewall ON at the same time?
Win7 x32 SP1
Regular Contributor

First turn on firewall in Norton 360.

Then Turn on windows firewall. That time a message is popup. Click "No" on it and check restart and check.

In both the place the firewall is turned on.

dbrisendine

I understood the previous message about turning both ON and keeping them ON.  The question is will having two firewalls on at the same time cause instabilities with the functions of Windows or other programs (email, network access, browsing the web, etc.)?
Win7 x32 SP1
Regular Contributor

Having both the firewall on,  i think it will able to capture all the datas without any issue.
Super Keylogger Crusher
mumford68

Hello Koopalive0303,

May I ask if you need to have both firewalls running at the same time or do you just want Norton 360 to stop turning off windows firewall so that you don't have to turn it on every time you boot up your computer so you can get online?

I suspect from your message that you desire to simply connect with the internet without having to turn on windows firewall each time (extra steps and time during computer sessions).  If you want to turn off 360's firewall (as described earlier) there are ways of supressing alerts from 360 (not something I personaly would want to do, It's the major reason I purchase the software).  

Or if it is what you wish another previous post describes how to have both running at the same time.

I am a little baffled why a school technician would setup the computers with both firewalls though. (I assume the school did it as your had said that the school requires windows firewall but I also read that you had installed the new version of Norton 360?)  Should there not be a way for the computers to recognise Norton as primary and be happy that that firewall is in place?  Oh well,  just thinking outloud.

Take care,

Mumford68

dbrisendine

mumford68 -

The OP (originating poster) asked for this because their school network required the OS firewall be active when they connected to it.  I have seen IT department place such restrictions on network usage before; the network Administrator requires it and it is a Windows network security policy item that the school's IT enforces (this is the difference between being in a Workup and belonging to a network domain).  If the OP wants to use the school's network (or connect to the domain, more likely) the security policy of the domain will check the user's system to see if it is in compliance with its rules before the domain controller allows the user to access the network.  As I understand it the OP's school domain checked for the OS Firewall to be active; if it was not (ever if the user had the ultimate software firewall) the user was denied access to the network.  This may be a little simplified but I think you get the idea (or at least, the direction I was coming from in answering the OP).

This still leaves the unanswered question of running two firewalls at the same time; is there any problems with the OP's system by having Windows Firewall active and N360 v3 Firewall active also?  For clarity, let's say this is XP Pro or Vista Business (most likely XP Pro as this is easiest for IT dept. to maintain right now).

Win7 x32 SP1