Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Bipinvsnl

Norton 360 causing problems in Windows 8

Goodday!

I have been having difficulties with Norton 360 in windows 8.

Everything seems very clumsey, for example, when i run the CCleaner, it keeps running but does not finish cleaning.

Sometimes restarting is a pain because it just hangs in the restarting screen.

Lots of security and network related issues reported by Windows Action Center. Of which the recent incident is where the Action Center keeps telling me that ''HomeGroup Is Sharing Files''!! I disabled file sharing but still the same message.

I went to the windows forum and found out that people who are using norton products are all facing this issue. here is an example:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w8itprogeneral/thread/660566b8-5a3b-46f0-9b90-c7d5f4db...

Apart from this even downloads are not happening using the IE10, no file is being downloaded.

Overall it seems Windows 8 dosent seem to like notron products and is crying to perform.

Would norton be kind and look into this issue asap or do a refund for causing all the problems :)

I d be happy to use the windows defender if everything gets back to normal by disabling Norton.

Thanks!! 

Contributor
tzon89

Re: Norton 360 causing problems in Windows 8

I also suspect Norton as the cause of the problem: When the PC's restart hangs, forcing me to hard-reset, the next time I turn it on I get messages from Windows 8' Action Center that Norton 360 firewall and unwanted program protection is turned off.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,861
Solutions: 379

<<  I get messages from Windows 8' Action Center that Norton 360 firewall and unwanted program protection is turned off. >>

This is a known situation that Norton is discussing with Microsoft since Norton is in fact working correctly even if Microsoft says it is turned off ....

I find current versions of CCleaner are very slow on Windows 7 and 8 and I'm not using Norton 360. I haven't tried disabling Norton to see if it is verifying every access but I'll try to get round to doing that.

Hugh
huwyngr

[ Edited ]

tzon

<< when i run the CCleaner, it keeps running but does not finish cleaning.  >>

Try opening the main screen for N 360 and navigating to settings and turn off the autoprotect one with its subsettings. And then run CCleaner.

I'm sorry that the instruction is a bit vague but I don't have N360 installed here but with NIS 2012 / V19 and on Windows 7 I just did a test run with CCleaner and as I mentioned it crawled listing temp files one by one showing them long enough to red the path and name.

I closed it down using the [X] and then in my NIS went into Settings / Computer / Real TIme Protection / Real TIme Protection andf set the AutoProtect to OFF. Doing this on the first one sets the other 2 OFF also. Then Apply or OK and set the time to 15 minutes.

Then I ran CCleaner again and it flashed through the Analysis.

CLosed down without deleting the files and set the AutoProtect to ON and repeated CCleaner and it crawled again.

So that kind of slowness is due to Norton checking every file as CCleaner manipulates it.

I'll ask Norton about this. Meanwhile would you try this and see if it works for you.

Don't forget to set Norton back -- I just clicked on AutoFix and that set them back to default.

========

OK I'm in WIndows 8 now with NIS 2013 / V20 and the same behavior -- sluggish with AutoProtect on and rapid with it OFF.

Note that it you have the NIS/N360 icon on the System Tray, bottom right of the desktop, try Right Mouse Click and select Turn off Autoprotect .... that takes you to the right part of settings and just asks you to confirm the time OFF.

Hugh
Kevin1262

I completed an upgrade to win 8 and wonder if that is some of the problem, when I uninstall Norton 360 everything seems to work again.  Otherwise I have to do a hard shut down if the computer has been on for any length of time and I have run several programs.  I also have the hang with "restart".  Not every time just sometimes.  When I do the hard restart and bring it back I noticed windows 8 disconnects itself.  I reboot again and everything works on the second restart.  It is an interesting problem to say the least.  I think I might just without norton for a month or so and see if someone will fix this in the next couple of updates.

huwyngr

Kevin,

<< I think I might just without norton for a month or so and see if someone will fix this in the next couple of updates. >>

If you mean without any security program that would be very imprudent and you would be more likely to have even more problems than at present.

Was yours an upgrade from an earlier Windows to Windows 8 or was it a clean install of Windows 8? The changes in Windows 8 are so massive that on top upgrades are inherently more likely to have problems.

Can you give the Version number of the N360 you have installed -- Support / About where it is in the format nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number and may begin with 6 or 20 ....

Hugh
Visitor
Bootjack

Apparently, Kevin really does not want to give his Version Number. Maybe it's something that sends him right over the edge, or maybe he gets emotional about it.

Presently, I have uninstalled Norton to see if it is causing Windows 8 to hang on Restarting. The jury is still out and hopefully they don't stay out as long as Kev.

Please stay tuned to a computer near you for the latest results.

(All responses should be typed in slow motion in order to be understood)

Visitor
THE_CROW

I've problems too on Windows 8 about the Norton 360. Some times IE 10 and some programs freeze on the system services. I was try to work again with 2 clicks on theese program shortcuts, but not work. Windows 8 can be new Operation System but ı dont think only this is OS problem. I was restarted the Windows 8, actually need hard shut down on the case power button. But later if ı opened again the computer, when Norton 360 write on the main window ( Antivirus Side, The first Left column on main window )" Your computer not protected". If ı want to resolve this problem when ı must uninstall and install again. I hate this. Because this is not good and ı dont like the waiting about same problems. I was try resolve without re-install or uninstall, but ı cant. Because Norton Management cant too. This is really bad.  I was boring for resolve this problem with uninstalling or re-installing. Please Need help.

Notice ; I was share the pictures about the problem. Maybe I use the diffrent Language on Norton 360 but error message icons same. Second image from the Norton Management Web site. It cant resolved too this problem.

Visitor
THE_CROW

I've Windows 8 Upgrade Version. All programs work on this OS without Problem. This is not OS problem. My Norton 360 Version is 20.2.0.19   If ı clicked the "Check The New version" button, when it say "Your Version is up-to-date". I dont have the error to upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8. Why Norton 360 have this problem ?

Notice ; I was Using the Windows 7 Ultimate Until Upgrading to Windows 8.

Sincerely.

garyleelane

I have the exact problem of windows 8 hanging on restart with Norton 360 installed. Soon as I uninstalled 360 the problem disappeared, so it is clearly Norton 360 which is the cause of the problem. I want the features of 360, so I reinstalled it and am putting up with the hell of having to use the power off routine to reboot. When will Norton have a fix for this problem?