Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

Re: Norton 360 uninstall and reinstall

CoPowers wrote:

Hi.  I can't install the upgrade either.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times, using the Norton Removal Tool and using the usual methods.  It installed fine on my Win7-64 system.  It won't install on my Win7-32 system.  Any idea why?  I get error 8504, 100.

Do you now or have you ever had another security program on your computer? If so, you will have to remove it with the removal tool for that program.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
booksbenji

Have the same prob again. Quick scan not quick(same prob as before), everything else is normal and I removed N360 via Revo Quick shows that it has scanned 3206 items, next time 2835 items and it stuck for 3 hrs!!!!

My laptop no probs, 360 on it. .

peterweb

Did you run the chkdsk I suggested above? Your slow scans can be a result of the scan trying to access a file that is in a bad sector of your hard drive.

Contributor
booksbenji

I run ckdisc 1 or 2x a day. No real probs there!!! This is the only prob I have with Norton. 

peterweb

booksbenji wrote:

I run ckdisc 1 or 2x a day. No real probs there!!! This is the only prob I have with Norton. 

Do you run chkdsk with the '/F' option to check the physical disk surface for errors. Even a newer drive can be faulty.

Contributor
booksbenji

Peterweb, I ran this: "chkdsk c: /r". There was no "F" opition. the scan came back clean!!!

peterweb

booksbenji wrote:

Peterweb, I ran this: "chkdsk c: /r". There was no "F" opition. the scan came back clean!!!

Sorry, the 'R' option is what I meant.   :smileyembarrassed:

Can you run a full system scan in safe mode? Do this with Norton and Malwarebytes.

If that does not work, I would suggest trying the Norton Removal Tool. I know you used Revo, but it is worth a try.

Downloading from your Norton Account will now get you the 2013 version. I think we should start with the V6 (2012).

Download the Norton Removal Tool from here   www.norton.com/nrt

Download a fresh copy of 360  from  www.norton.com/n360s_6 for Standard, or www.norton.com/n360p_6 for Premium.
If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data.
Uninstall your Norton product with Windows control panel.
Reboot.
Run the Norton Removal Tool.
Reboot.
Run the 360 installer.
Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.
Import your Identity Safe data.

Let us know if you get anywhere.