Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
deal14

Norton 360 v5 will not complete download

I purchased Norton 360 v5 with 3 downloads. I used one fine on one of our laptops and tried downloading on another computer and it will not complete the download. When attempting to live update I get an error message, 8501, 101. It says that there is a Mcafee file on the computer and it is interferring. When I try to delete the Mcafee file from add/remove programs, it asks for a disk. I have tried ignoring the Mcafee file and completing the download but then I can't access the internet. The last time I restarted the computer it said that some of the reboot directory items had been changed, which I did not do.

Any help would be appreciated.

DistEd2
Kudos: 412
Solutions: 81

Re: Norton 360 v5 will not complete download

[ Edited ]

Hi, deal14,

Welcome to our community!

It sounds like this should be fairly straightforward. Security software is complex stuff, and getting it entirely dug out from your Operating  System typically requires a specialized removal tool provided by the vendor. Especially given that you seem no longer to have access to your McAfee install disks, this means you need to download and install McAfee's removal tool (note: clicking this link will immediately begin download of the tool), and it should do the job for you.

Once you have done this, you should be able to complete installation of your Norton 360 without difficulty.

Keep us posted! We're here to help, until you're ready to click that "Accept as Solution" button to help future users facing the same issue more quickly find an answer that worked.

deal14

When trying to use the Mcafee removal tool I received the following error message.

Incomplete uninstallation

Error obtaining the full permission for cleanup

yank
Kudos: 2,155
Solutions: 501

deal14,

FWIW, here is a link that also includes the McAfee Removal Tool - along with instructions and comments pertaining to different situations you may encounter.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

I am curious if your McAfee install came as part of a new system - in which case it has to be activated before it can be properly removed.  I know you are not ocncerned about the number of installs for McAfee, but if it is still present in Add/remove programs that could be a clue.  Also, did you get a look at the log it is talking about in regards to Cleanup Unsuccesful?  It may also hold a clue.

deal14

It wouldn't allow me to look at the log...it said that it was being used by another program.

yank
Kudos: 2,155
Solutions: 501

Can you tell me when was McAfee installed?  Did it come installed on the system?  If so, was it ever activated? 

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

deal14 wrote:

I purchased Norton 360 v5 with 3 downloads.. When attempting to live update I get an error message, 8501, 101. It says that there is a Mcafee file on the computer and it is interferring. When I try to delete the Mcafee file from add/remove programs, it asks for a disk. I have tried ignoring the Mcafee file and completing the download but then I can't access the internet. The last time I restarted the computer it said that some of the reboot directory items had been changed, which I did not do.

Any help would be appreciated.

To me, it sounds like there is some malware that is preventing the removal of McAfee. especially since there has been changes to the boot directory. Sounds like this might be a case for the malware  removal sites..

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

DistEd2
Kudos: 412
Solutions: 81

[ Edited ]

Thanks, flo--you come highly recommended :smileyhappy: so I'll post the standard referral here. Quads may also weigh in if he sees something suspicious; if so, deal14 should follow his instructions exactly!

Deal14, at this point, it is best to refer you to the recommended forums, where a real malware expert can work with you one-on-one in real time to dig these things out. Some of our best folks here have checked them out to make sure that they are capable, and competent to deal with rootkits and other nasties. Most of them handle tricky Windows problems as well.

Just sign up for one of their free accounts--where required--and go to the forums; don't click on any of the ads! Note that some of these forums (like bleepingcomputer) require that once they begin working with you, you not consult any other sources on your infection until it's resolved--and will close your case if you do. This is important, to avoid confusion (and really bad outcomes) resulting from trying to follow several people's advice at once! LOL

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out!