Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
jgedwards

Norton 360 will not run and can not access Symantec or Norton Website....**bleep** PCs!

I had Norton 360 running on my brother's laptop, but he got some kind of virus and now I can not even start the app or access any Norton or Symantec website from his pc.  I can sometimes go to other sites, but as soon as I try something with Norton or Symantec in the URL, I get a "No connection" message.  I also keep getting a popup stating "Your computer is infected!"  Windows has detected spyware infection.  When I click that it brings up "Security Center" and a link to get "AntiSpywareXP 2009".  I hate to reformat his laptop, but have no idea what the actual infection is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Contributor
Dch48

Re: Norton 360 will not run and can not access Symantec or Norton Website....**bleep** PCs!

The infection is-  AntiSpyware XP itself---somebody clicked on the link to do a scan. This is a well known scam and installs a malware package that is difficult to remove.
XP Media Center Edition SP3
NIS 2009
IE7 & Outlook Express
Visitor
jgedwards

Re: Norton 360 will not run and can not access Symantec or Norton Website....**bleep** PCs!

How do I get Norton 360 to run so that I can remove these threats?  The AntiSpyware XP 2009 shows scan results and of course wants me to register it.  Right now there is no available internet connection.  I was able to manually connect using an ethernet cable (wireless not working), but as I said, anytime I tried to go to a Norton or Symantec website I get a "No network connection" message.  I was able to go to Google and a 5/3rd website.  Here are some of the infection names that it says it found:

AceBot

BackWebLite

A-Trojan 2.0

MPower

Adlogix

Adware.IpWins

NavExcel

Msiebho

Backdoor.IRCBot

Advware.Adstart.b

PerMedia

PopMonster Description

I tried searching on the Symantec Virus Threats website, but most were not found.  Some did have manual removal instructions, but all say to run Live Update.  I can't even get Norton 360 to startup, much less connect to the internet.  I have also been unable to find any information removing "AntiSpywareXP 2009".

Please help!!

Contributor
Dch48

There are removal tools available from various places to get rid of Anti Spyware XP and the other like infections.  Do a google search. I'm sure you'll find them. You probably will have to reinstall your Norton products afterwards though.
XP Media Center Edition SP3
NIS 2009
IE7 & Outlook Express
Regular Contributor
Tech0utsider

Download and run ComboFix: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

Then, run HiJackThis and post the logfile here please

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HiJackThis.exe

=\
Regular Contributor
ialexandra73

i agree with tech  , but run it in safe mode
Regular Contributor
Tech0utsider

it don't matter.
=\