Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
wgg1848
Accepted Solution

Norton Autofix

I have Norton 360 Premier installed on a wind 7 Laptop.  Yesterday an error message appeared, looking just like the Norton Autofix. We followed the instructions which referred to removing and reinstalling Norton. After the laptop restarted, it went through what appeared to be a windows restart programme.  After a period of a dark screen a new screen opened which looks similar to a windows blue screen on start-up.

Nothing else happenned, windows did not load, just this blue screen.

I have tried a reboot, but just the same result.

Any advice appreciated.

Happy New Year.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: Norton Autofix

The problem is you have had two unusual screens  both which you desribe as looking like the real thing. The question is are they the real thing. Can you explain why you do not feel that the windows blue screen is a windows ble screen. What is the message on the blue screen. We need the code just after half way down to the end of the page.

Have you tried "safe mode"?

Contributor
wgg1848

The screen is blue and looks like a windows background.  there are no icons on the screen and no error messages

The laptop does not react to any key command,  I have tried, ctrl,alt, del - nothing.

The only thing is a forced turnoff.

On restarting the computer it gives the option of a windows check (preferred) or a normal start.  Which ever option is chosen it ends up with the 'blue' screen.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

A windows background can look like anything, but if it is just blue with no writing on it, it is not imho a "blue screen of death"

I guess you are not familiar with safe mode. When you restart or turn on your computer, hit the F8 key repeatedly until a menu appears.

If you have no luck with this, then post back here with the laptop make and model and advise . Make sure there are no dvd's in the drive.

Contributor
wgg1848

Thanks for your interest. 

A friend who has a little more knowledge of these things  than I do looked into this and he has found a hard drive problem.

He suggests that I 'jumped' to conclusions before going thro with simple checks.

He thinks It has nothing to do with Norton autofix as such, it was just a coincidence that that was going on when the hard drive played up.

At least I recently backed up and the laptop is now at a local reputable repairers.

Many Thanks

peterweb
Kudos: 1,365
Solutions: 342

wgg1848 wrote:

Thanks for your interest. 

A friend who has a little more knowledge of these things  than I do looked into this and he has found a hard drive problem.

He suggests that I 'jumped' to conclusions before going thro with simple checks.

He thinks It has nothing to do with Norton autofix as such, it was just a coincidence that that was going on when the hard drive played up.

At least I recently backed up and the laptop is now at a local reputable repairers.

Many Thanks

Sorry to hear your hard drive is acting up.

That could explain why you got the Autofix notification in the first place. Norton may have been looking for a file and because of the hard drive failing was unable to find it. That would initiate the Autofix.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.