Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
grdnsmll
Accepted Solution

Norton Firewall blocking Internet Access

I have Norton 360 installed on my machine and have recently had a problem that the Norton Firewall is apparently blocking my access to the internet.

If I temporarily disable the Firewall then I am able to access the internet ok.

Otherwise I get the message 'This page can't be displayed'. Subsequently when attempting to fix the connection problem, the Firewall Diagnostics Wizard is telling me that the Norton Firewall is blocking communication. When I look at the Security History log there is a message coming up every couple of seconds saying 'You created firewall rules to manage how Host Process for Windows Services accesses your network resources'. Is this normal?

On occasions I am also getting the blue screen with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL coming up before my machine very quickly closes down. I realise that this is usually the message reported when a driver has not been installed correctly.

Any help to get this sorted out would be much appreciated.         

peterweb
Kudos: 1,172
Solutions: 303

Re: Norton Firewall blocking Internet Access

Look under Settings for Smart Firewall. click on Configure beside Advanced Settings. Click on Reset Firewall.

Restart your computer and see if things work now. As you access programs that need the internet, the rules will be re created.

I Use NIS, so a 360 user can correct my directions to get to that setting.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
yank
Kudos: 2,047
Solutions: 467

Per peterweb's request:

From the main page of N 360 select Settings > Firewall > General Settings Tab > Firewall Rest > Reset [+]

Visitor
grdnsmll

No this doesn't work.

I've tried re-configuring and resetting a few times and it has not made any difference. I've just tried again, and once more I am getting the 'This page can't be displayed' message.

One other piece of information is that if on starting I go straight on to the internet, then I have about a minute of normal activity until the Firewall 'kicks in' and blocks any further access.  

peterweb

[ Edited ]

Try clicking on Support - Get Support to run  Autofix to check your installation and fix what it finds.

Also, be sure you have run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

You might also try downloading Nirsoft Blue Screen View to be able to tell us what the driver is that is involved with your Blue Screen crashes.   http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

yank
Kudos: 2,047
Solutions: 467

[ Edited ]

grdnsmll wrote:

I have Norton 360 installed on my machine and have recently had a problem that the Norton Firewall is apparently blocking my access to the internet.

If I temporarily disable the Firewall then I am able to access the internet ok.

Otherwise I get the message 'This page can't be displayed'. Subsequently when attempting to fix the connection problem, the Firewall Diagnostics Wizard is telling me that the Norton Firewall is blocking communication. When I look at the Security History log there is a message coming up every couple of seconds saying 'You created firewall rules to manage how Host Process for Windows Services accesses your network resources'. Is this normal?

On occasions I am also getting the blue screen with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL coming up before my machine very quickly closes down. I realise that this is usually the message reported when a driver has not been installed correctly.

Any help to get this sorted out would be much appreciated.         

I can't help but wonder - is the Windows Firewall also turned on by chance?  Perhaps a conflict between the two, and turing off either one of them may end the conflict and permit the other to work properly? Just food for thought.

These are older posts, but may still be useful in answer to your question:

See SOJ's post in this thread.

Also the link he gave to Norton's explanation.

Visitor
grdnsmll

Thanks for the information about Blue Screen View.

Also I've run Autofix and LiveUpdate several times without this making any difference.

From the Blue Screen View results I see that I have had the problem since 4/6/2013, although this date does not seem to have any significance.

The driver causing the blue screen is Microsoft's NT Kernel & System. I have attached a screen print with the information from a typical blue screen dump. Hopefully there is some useful information there to help solve the problem.

peterweb

For the blue screen problem, with ntoskrnl.exe I would suggest checking your Windows installation.

Click on Start and type CMD in the search box. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator. Type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check your Windows installation and try to correct any errors it finds.

Regular Contributor
intesec

Hi grdnsmll

Delete the browsing history from the browser you are having problems with (see help and support from the start menu).

Remove the browser you are having problems with from the firewall programme control and carefully check to see if there are any other entries for that browser name and remove then if there are any then restart the computer. Then open the browser and Norton should put it back into the firewall.  Check for updates for the browser.

ATB

intesec

Visitor
grdnsmll

Thankyou - However my problem is not browser related. Although I mainly use Internet Explorer, I am also blocked from the internet when using Mozilla Firefox and Safari.

I have recently had a problem with the Perion Network installation package wssetup.exe, but am hoping that this has now been eliminated from my machine. It looks likely this was the cause of my internet access problem which still persists.