Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
jimsam9

Norton Safe Search Clear History Drop Down

Hello,

I noticed that there is a drop down to clear the history from Norton Safe Search, but it's showing up over website listings. I never noticed this before, and don't necessarily remember seeing the list of related searches at the left of the page. I was hoping to add a screen shot to this post, but can't figure out how to get it in here.

Is this normal behavior for Safe Search, or should I be concerned?

Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

Re: Norton Safe Search Clear History Drop Down

Hello jimsam9,

A screenshot would certainly help.  There are instructions for posting a screenshot at this link.

Any chance you recently updated to IE9?

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Contributor
jimsam9

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the link (I should have thought of using Paint!). BTW, I'm still on IE8.  Here is the screen shot (you can see the arrow just above the box with the options to clear the history or hide the search history):

Safe Search.jpg

Phil_D

Okay, thanks! 

Your image will have to be approved by the moderators before we can view it, so hang in there.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Contributor
jimsam9

No worries...I appreciate the help!

Phil_D

Hello jimsam9,

I believe the Related Searches is a recently added feature.  I do see your issue of the drop down arrow appearing over the search listings.  Although I can't reproduce this, it appears to be a minor graphics related bug and nothing to be concerned over security-wise.

I notice from your Norton Toolbar that you are using a 2010 or earlier version of Norton 360.  I don't know if you are aware of this, but with a valid subscription you are always eligible for a FREE update to the latest Norton Product which in your case would be Norton 360 v5.

If you would like to update to the newest version, please let me now which version you are now running (Help & Support > About) and I can guide you to the proper procedure.  Also let me know if it is 360 Standard (2GB online storage) or 360 Premiere (25 GB online storage).  An update may fix this "glitch".

Contributor
jimsam9

Phil,

I'm using N360 Premiere version 4.3.0.5.

Thanks,

Jim

Phil_D

Okay Jim,

Normally, Norton 360 will install “overtop” a recent version quite nicely if the current version is running well.

There are a few methods to install 360 "overtop" of your current version which you can do now with your current subscription. 

FIRST - backup your Identity Safe Data.

• Open the main Norton 360 User Interface, go to Help & Support and click "Check for Newer Version".  Follow the directions.

• Go to the Norton Update Center here and select the automated "Update Me Now" or "Choose My [current] Product Manually".  Be sure to select Norton 360 Premiere v4.

• Download and save Norton 360v5 Premiere to your desktop. Once Saved, right click > Run As Administrator.

The first two options use the Norton Download Manger which has the benefit of downloading recent definitions. If using the third option, after installation you will have to download a large file set of definitions.

Whichever method you use, please run LiveUpdate multiple time (restarts may be required) until you are at version 5.1.0.29.

If you desire to perform a complete uninstall - reinstall, let me know and I will post those instructions.

Contributor
jimsam9

Hey Phil,

Used the interface to download v5. Haven't run LiveUpdate yet, but when I checked under "about" in the help menu, it said I was at the correct version. Thanks for the help on getting my version updated, but the drop down arrow still shows up in the middle of a web address when I run Safe Search. If it's just a glitch in the graphics, I can live with it!

Thanks for all your help!

Phil_D

I'm glad you got updated okay, but the folks at Symantec will be interested in the glitch.

Can you tell me what your screen resolution is?