Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
SoAnnoyed

Norton Security Suite Will Not Open

[ Edited ]

When I double click on the NSS icon, it does not open. When I right click on the icon and select “Open Norton Security Suite” nothing happens. Why won’t it open? I have Norton Security Suite from Comcast. My laptop has Windows 7.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled NSS twice and nothing has changed. When I right click on it there are options to run a quick scan, run live update, run back up or get support (which is how I got to this page).

yank
Kudos: 2,234
Solutions: 511

Re: Norton Security Suite Will Not Open

Hi SoAnnoyed,

First of all, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs & Features > look fro Norton Security Suite and tell us the version number you have installed.

Also please tell us if you are talking about a desktop icon or the Norton Icon in the System Tray (I believe this is the one you are talking about from what you have told us about it).

When you uninstalled and reinstalled it - did you run the Norton Removal Tool after uninstalling and prior to reinstalling? 

We'll be waiting on your answers.

kaoruzbuttercup

I started having this problem, too. I have version number 20.2.0.19  I ran the uninstall tool. I can run the live update and quick scan, just not anything else. I can't change my settings or anything because it won't open.

yank

Have you tried the Get Support via the Norton SystemTray Icon?  See if that fixes anything. 

Please tell us what you consider the uninstall tool?  Did you run the Norton Removal Tool and if so, did you uninstall via the Control Panel prior to running the tool?

The correct method is listed in this Norton Security Suite FAQ on the Comcast Forums..

Please keep us posted.

Visitor
SoAnnoyed

I have version number 20.2.0.19. Yes, I have tried the Get Support via the Norton System Tray Icon (I do not have a Norton desktop icon). It says it does not detect any problems. Yes I ran the Norton Removal Tool after uninstalling via the Control Panel, per the instructions. Nothing has changed. :smileysad:

yank

Thanks for the feedback SoAnnoyed.  Please tell us how long you have had NSS installed and if there has ever been another Antivirus/security program installed on your system.  Perhaps a trial from when the system was new?  

Do you currently have any other Security type progam installed that could be conflicting with NSS - something that would run in real-time (porgrams normally end with the Pro designatiion) .

Visitor
SoAnnoyed

I have had NSS installed for about 1 year (I installed it the day I bought this lap top) and I have never had any other security or anti-virus programs. This problem started two days ago when my son was playing Minecraft and he downloaded winrar for something in his game. I thought that was the cause of the problem so then I uninstalled winrar, but the problem persists.  

yank

I know nothing about winrar - but I see on Google that there are various methods of removal - including some removal tools to ensure complete removal.  Might be worth your while to have a look.

kaoruzbuttercup

That's very similiar to my problem. I've had this laptop for a year and have had nothing but Norton. A couple of months ago I downloaded a program called Steam to play a game. I thought that was the problem and removed it, but my computer keeps crashing and I can't use Norton.

shannons
Topics: 50
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 8