Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
kjnk

Norton from comcast

Last night I tried to down load Norton to my PC. I followed all the steps, but my PC would lock up. I got Norton support involved, but 2 1/2 hours later, they still couldn't get it to load. It would lock up after extracting the files and start to initialize, total lock up, had to manually shut down.No mater what they tried, it kept doing it. A supervisor is suppose to call me tonight and try again. I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this?

yank
Kudos: 2,250
Solutions: 513

Re: Norton from comcast

[ Edited ]

You said you followed all the steps - can you provide a link for the steps you followed, so we know which steps you are referring to?

DId you have McAfee (or any other AV) installed prior to attempting to install CNSS?   If so, how did you remove it.

If McAfee, did you run the McAfee removal tool?

Did the Norton help people already ask these questions?   If so sorry for repeating them.

PapauZ
Topics: 392
Kudos: 1,025
Solutions: 374

Which Windows do you use?

And is your Windows User an admin/power user account? If no, do you know the administrator account's name and password? You can only install Norton products with administrator privileges.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.3.0.12

Contributor
kjnk

I did have Mcafee and used the tool from the comcast / Norton site. The tech person also went in to make sure it was all removed. He went into "everything" to try and get it to load.

Contributor
kjnk

I have Windows X/P. I am the admin. for my PC. I even tried it in safe mode with networking and it still locked up. I'm telling you, the tech person went into everything.

yank
Kudos: 2,250
Solutions: 513

kjnk wrote:

I have Windows X/P. I am the admin. for my PC. I even tried it in safe mode with networking and it still locked up. I'm telling you, the tech person went into everything.

kjnk - please keep us posted after they call you back.

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello kynk

It is possible that the program couldn't be installed because you have malware on your computer. Do you have any other firewalls installed besides the windows one?I would suggest a full scan with the free version of Malwarebytes.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Contributor
kjnk

Actually, I did have malwarebytes on my pc, which I ran about once a week. The tech thought that it may have been blocking the Norton down load, so he removed it also.

I'm wondering if the Microsoft / windows firewall could be causing the problem?? I don't remember seeing the tech do anything with that.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

NSS should close the Windows firewall during the installation.  Other security software that doesn't allow changes to the registry like Spybot S & D can be problematic.  Other hidden malware can also prevent installation.  The free version of Malwarebytes does not interfere and is good to have available.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Contributor
kjnk

I'm going to re load the malwarebytes again and run it before connecting to Norton tonight. I do remember having Spybot, but I'll have to check to see if it is still loaded on my PC ( I thought I tried to get rid of it before and it wouldn't let me ). I'll also check on the Windows firewall.