Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
rls42

Outlook Express problems after installing 360

Since I installed Norton 360 I have been having an intermittent problem with Outlook Express.  Periodically when I try to go to my Inbox, or one of my other email folders, the folder won't load and I get a message that says there is not enough memory or disk space.  I can normally access other folders when this happens, but not the Inbox for example.  Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this?  Is 360 hogging my ram?  For background, I am running XP SP3 and have 512 meg of ram, and around 25 gig of free hard disk space. 

Thanks for any help. 

Roger

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

Re: Outlook Express problems after installing 360

<<  For background, I am running XP SP3 and have 512 meg of ram, >>

That really is borderline for XP, despite what Microsoft says, so it may be telling you the truth. You probably have RAM that is shared with the video system which would again reduce the RAM available to the system.

You would be well advised to add at least another 512MB of RAM. Check www.crucial.com which can either scan your PC or lets you enter the make and model and then tell you what RAM to use, how much your model can take and of course the price. They are a reliable company. However if you have a Toshiba go to the www.kingston.com website and do the same exercise since Toshiba only support Kingston memory on their machines and you must not try to use the Kingston Value Ram -- ID is KVR I think -- since it may work reliably ... and it may not.

Hugh
rls42

Thanks.  I agree that more ram would be beneficial, and I could go to 1 GB in this machine, but due to the type of ram chip it would cost around $450 to do it.  Since that really isn't cost effective I'll have to live with what I have until I replace this machine. 

It is odd though that I never once had this problem until I installed Norton 360, which still leads me to beleive that 360 is the culprit.  Maybe it is just too resource intensive and there is nothing that can be done, but I thought someone may have encountered a similar problem. 

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

I know the feeling on old RAM prices .....

Don't give up but keep an eye open here since there are others more proficient than I am in digging down inside to see what is happening.

Things that occur to me:

I have Outlook Express set up not to automatically download images with email messages, partly for safety. For example a lot of phishing text messageslook normal but are in fact an image and if you click anywhere on the image it takes you to where they want you to go, despite what seem to be legitimate blue links to say your bank.

The messages come down without the images and there is a click on telling it that I want to see the images so download them. They would occupy less memory and you would not be loading an image every time you opened a message (and some systems may be slow to close the images and surrender the memory.

Go to Task Manager -- CTRL+SHIFT+ESC all together -- and look at the performance tab and see what is happening to your memory. Use HELP to see what it all means.

Delete from Outlook Express what you really don't need and let it also Compact the message base.

Don't have other applications open at the same time as Outlook Express.

Check your virtual memory setting -- space allocated on the hard drive -- and see what happens if you increase it to say three times your memory 3 x 512MB if it is less than that.

Some of these might help pinpoint what is going on and what you could do to avoid the problem

Hugh