Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Vapor
Accepted Solution

PC Security - At Risk! "Your PC needs to be scanned for viruses and spyware."

Hello,

I continue to get this message despite running the Fix Now multiple times as well as the Power Eraser, which didn't find anything.  Sometimes the scan detects items and fixes and the fixes them and sometimes it doesn't, but either way the result is still Norton with the Red X and always stating that I need to Fix Now.

I've also double checked my date and time is correct.

I'm running Windows 7 with Norton 360 5.1.0.29

Please advise.

Thank you,

Travis

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Re: PC Security - At Risk! "Your PC needs to be scanned for viruses and spyware."

[ Edited ]

Hi Vapor,

Have you run a Full System Scan with N360?  If so,  what were the results?

Thanks,  Dave.

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!

Visitor
Vapor

Re: PC Security - At Risk! "Your PC needs to be scanned for viruses and spyware."

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the reply.  I ran the full scan again, it did find a few things and states that it fixed them and then I return to the same message of my PC needing to be scanned in Red. 

When I hover over PC Security At Risk! section of Norton 360 and click view details - the first item under Items is Virus and Spyware Scan, all in Red and the Status = Never run?  All of the other items are green and On.  I'm not sure if that helps.

Also please let me know if you need additional detail from the full scan results, I'm not sure what to provide.

Thanks for your help.

Travis

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Could you tell us what the "few thing" were?  Open N360 > performance.  Any security threats should be in red triangles. Hovering over these you will be able to check the details.  Along the bottom of the top half it should show the quick scans N360 has completed this month.  Does it show these scans?

yank
Kudos: 2,227
Solutions: 510

Vapor wrote:

Hello Dave,

When I hover over PC Security At Risk! section of Norton 360 and click view details - the first item under Items is Virus and Spyware Scan, all in Red and the Status = Never run?  All of the other items are green and On.  I'm not sure if that helps.

Travis

Hi Travis,

Is there a Detail link  under the Status?  If so click on it and tell us what it says.

Since you have run the full scan already as Dave requested.  Please hover over PC Security and select Run Scans.  Under Computer Scans, Select Quick Scan and then GO. 

I have seen where the Fix did not work, but initiating a scan from the Run Scan as I suggested or from the "Click to start job" arrow in the Norton Tasks list  will get the scan to run and everything falls into place after that.  

Visitor
Vapor

Hello Yank,

I've ran the Quick Scan twice and each time it has found and resolved 2 tracking cookies and still shows that I'm At Risk and appears to be no change.  I tried bringing in a screen shot, but no luck. 

The details of the each Quick Scan show:

Task Name - Quick Scan

Scan Time - 0:00:00:27

Total Items Scanned - 12,392

Total Security Risks Detected - 2

Total Security Risks Resolved - 2

Total Security Risks Requiring Attention - 0

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,

Travis

Visitor
Vapor

Hello,

Going into Tasks, Check Security History, highlighting the full scan that I ran last night, clicking More Details, it opens up the "Security History - Advanced Details" of the Full System Scan results it shows:

Task Name - Full System Scan

Scan Time - 0:01:36:46

Total Security Risks Detected - 22 (Tracking Cookies)

Total Security Risks Resolved - 22 (Tracking Cookies)

Total Security Risks Requiring Attention - 0

When I go to the Performance section of N360, the top half has 3 tabs and each tab just says Loading and I then have a 4th option/link (not a tab) for Optimize and that doesn't respond.  It appears as though these things aren't loading and leaves both of my graphs blank, unless I'm looking at this incorrectly.

Also, I've now ran a 3rd Quick Scan that each time has resulted in detecting/resolving 2 tracking cookies.  If memory serves me this is what lead me to using the Power Eraser, which didn't find anything.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if I can provide anything else.  I appreciate your help.

Travis

I hope that helps,

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Hi Travis,

Since running the scans has not solved the problem, (tracking cookies are not really a threat),  it may be a corrupt installation.  I would recommend backing up your identity safe data,  instructions are here.  Then run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool found here.  When this is complete,  run Live Update and reboot as required until you get "Your Norton product has the latest protection updates".

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,  Dave.

Visitor
Vapor

That appears to have done the trick, thank you!!!

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

You are welcome.  Thank you for the feedback. :smileyhappy: