Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
MPB
Contributor
MPB
Accepted Solution

Please help - 2 system tray icons!

Firstly, hello - this is my first post!

Secondly, I hope you can help me!

I was given a new laptop a month ago as a birthday present, and it came with a free 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security (or something like that). I was also bought a CD version of Norton 360.

A few days ago, I successfully got round to installing the Norton 360 that I was given.

Last night I was on the laptop, and noticed that there were 2 identical 'Norton 360' icons in the system tray - both of which took me to the same place when clicked on (the control panel thing for Norton 360).

I guess I have a few questions...

1. Why are there 2 system tray icons for the same thing?

2. Is this anything to do with having a trial version of Norton already on the laptop when I installed 360?

3. Is 360 actually running twice, and therefore using more system resources than it should be?

4. How can one of them be removed?

Please help! :(

Norton Fighter
mdturner

Re: Please help - 2 system tray icons!

[ Edited ]

Hi MPB

Welcome to the Norton Community

Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue you are having with your Norton Product.

Did you do a full uninstallation of the NIS trial before installing Norton 360. It may be worth running the Norton Removal Tool to ensure everything was fully removed and then reinstalling your Norton 360 from your CD and running liveupdate to get it to the very latest level.

The Norton Removal Tool will remove all Norton Products on your system and can be obtained from here

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=9...

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

MPB
Contributor
MPB

Hi there - thanks for your prompt reply.

No I didn't uninstall the trial prior to loading 360 - I naively expected this to be done automatically as part of the installation process!

Would this explain why I have 2 system tray icons though? It does seem strange that both icons are for Norton 360 (rather than 1 being for 360 and 1 for Internet Security??)

Norton Fighter
mdturner

MPB wrote:

Hi there - thanks for your prompt reply.

No I didn't uninstall the trial prior to loading 360 - I naively expected this to be done automatically as part of the installation process!

Would this explain why I have 2 system tray icons though? It does seem strange that both icons are for Norton 360 (rather than 1 being for 360 and 1 for Internet Security??)

Sometimes, in similar circumstances to yours, the removal of one programme by another does not fully uninstall everything and things get left behind that can, under some circumstances, cause issues. In your case I would recommend that you uninstall Norton 360 via the control panel. Run the Norton Removal Tool a couple of times with a reboot after each run - this should ensure that everything is cleaned out (NIS trial and Norton 360) and then reinstall your Norton 360 product and update it fully. Your product key will remiain on your system and should be picked up when you reinstall.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,436
Solutions: 528

[ Edited ]

Hi MPB:

Are you running Windows 7? There have been other posts reporting two identical Norton icons in the tray, and it seems that this is related to Windows 7; you can check the thread below to see if you are experiencing the same issue; you will find the solution in dbrisendine's post but since it involved editing the Windows registry, by all means back up your registry beforehand (instructions for backing up the Windows 7 registry can be found here):

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/2-NIS-icon-on-sys-tray/td-p/215428

MPB
Contributor
MPB

Yes, I am using Windows 7 - and it does appear that I am having the same issue.

Are we saying that using the Norton Uninstall and then reinstalling 360 will not resolve the problem then?

I could attempt to follow the instructions that you kindly provided to amend the registry to 'resolve' the problem, but before I go to to the trouble, I want to try and understand exactly what the problem is....

Is it just that it is showing 2 icons, ie. it is just a visual blip, or is it that something is actually 'running' twice and therefore having an impact on system resources?

floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,024
Solutions: 361

Hello MPB

Having a clean install of N360 wouldn't hurt. As MDTurner has said, you may still have some remnants of the trial version still in your computer. I would try the uninstall and reinstall first to see if that does fix the problem. Then if necessary, you can try what was suggested in the other thread. That's just my opinion.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Yaso_Kuuhl

[ Edited ]

Hi MPB,

It's difficult to say :-) The twin icons could be a Windows 7 oddity or it could be due to your having installed Norton 360 over NIS. In the thread I posted, the poster mentioned that like in your case, both icons did the same thing - they were twins in every aspect, so this would support the Windows 7 glitch theory. However, if you want to reinstall Norton as mdturner has suggested, please do the following:

Depending on the edition (Standard or Premier) of Norton 360 you have got, please download the latest installation package from the appropriate link below and save it to your desktop.

Norton 360 Standard Edition version 4 (English)
http://liveupdate.symantec.com/upgrade/N360-ESD-17-5-0-127.exe

Norton 360 Premier Edition version 4 (English)
http://liveupdate.symantec.com/upgrade/N360-PREMIER-ESD-17-5-0-127.exe

Download and save the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop from over here:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=1...

NOTE: The Norton removal tool will wipe out any other Norton products installed on your computer, so only use the removal tool if Norton 360 is the only product on your computer.

Also, please keep your Norton 360 product key handy, just in case. You can get it from your Norton account over here:
https://www.mynortonaccount.com/amsweb/default.do

If you use Identity Safe, back up your Identity Safe data beforehand:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nco.nsf/0/e5a44e06f97b3f89882572260060120f?OpenDocument&seg=hm&...

Please disconnect from the internet and run the removal tool twice, rebooting after each run. Then install Norton 360 and connect to the internet when it wants to connect to the web. The removal tool leaves your product key behind, and Norton 360 should pick up your key automatically.

Please post back with the outcome. Thanks :-)

MPB
Contributor
MPB

Hi there - thanks for your comprehensive reply!

I have Norton 360 Version 4.0 'Exclusive Gold Edition' - is this the same as the Premier Edition?

Yaso_Kuuhl

[ Edited ]

Good question - I have never heard of such an edition of Norton 360 before, but I have asked someone who has - Yogesh_Mohan should soon be with you ;-)