Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
tam
Visitor
tam

Power eraser in 360, is it safe to run?

My sons laptop has constant pop ups saying his computer is infected or it has spyware,maleware, etc...which is not coming from Norton...I was told to run the power eraser to detect the problem and take care of it...But I am concerned that it will delete other programs he has on the PC....He doesn't have a lot, but he is a big online gamer....What exactly is this program and how harsh is it?

dickevans

Re: Power eraser in 360, is it safe to run?

tam wrote:

My sons laptop has constant pop ups saying his computer is infected or it has spyware,maleware, etc...which is not coming from Norton...I was told to run the power eraser to detect the problem and take care of it...But I am concerned that it will delete other programs he has on the PC....He doesn't have a lot, but he is a big online gamer....What exactly is this program and how harsh is it?

Hi,

Norton Power Eraser is not the first program I'd recomend to clean things up. Your installed Norton product would be first If a full scan doesn't find anything I'd reboot download, install, update and run Malwarebytes free scann er found here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free it is Norton compatible so keep it on the desktop for a second opinion when you want one. If you are still clean then I'd go for the NPE.

Let us know how it goes

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Symantec Employee
CyberSensei

Re: Power eraser in 360, is it safe to run?

Hi Tam,

NPE is an agrressive tool that deals with active malware on your computer & needs to be used carefully.To reduce the chances  of accidentally deleting files; On finishing the scan NPE will display files that it does not have enough information on as "unknown". At this point you can choose to run a cloud scan by clicking on the cloud icon next to the file.  If you would like to not see these unknown files altogether you can achiveve that by using the "Settings" screen.

Ak