Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
easysurf

Problem with 360 version 5

Is there any way to go back to a previous version of 360?

I have a pc running XP and when I try to do a compete scan, I get a blue screen.

This problem started when I updated to version 5.0

Version 5.0 uses too much memory.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,851
Solutions: 378

Re: Problem with 360 version 5

easysurf wrote:

Is there any way to go back to a previous version of 360?

I have a pc running XP and when I try to do a compete scan, I get a blue screen.

This problem started when I updated to version 5.0

Version 5.0 uses too much memory.

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs as well as the Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well as any other background that could be helpful.

What browser do you use?

How much RAM do you have on the XP machine? In general the current version of Norton does not use more RAM but with Norton 360 having so much in the way of utilities and non security features it might be exceeding the resources you have available. I wonder whether Norton AntiVirus or Internet Security might be better choices?

Hugh
easysurf

Norton 360

version

Windows XP Home Edition

Service Pack 3

IE 8

Physical Memory

1,247 MB

eMachine

CPU AMD Atholon 2000+

Physical Memory

1,277,424 K

When I closed 

DiskKeeper and then did a

Custom Scan

It worked ok.

But I never had to do that with the version I was using - loaded on 12/2010

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,851
Solutions: 378

Not enormous but that should be enough RAM for reasonable behavior -- 1.25GB (probably after some taken for video ram?)

I don't use Diskkeeper any more but when I had it installed on XP I had to disable the automatic defrage feature becuase it crippled my machine when it was running. It ran quickly enough when told to run and I just let it go on its own.

If you feel lthe need to defrag I certainly would not run it in the background but set it to run say once a month at the most.

Note thta N360 V5 does have it's own defragger unless I'm mistaken -- Optimizer? -- and you certainly should not use both since the almost certainly have their own ideas of how to arrange files and folders and so could spend time rearranging what the other had done!

Hugh