Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
giancmsj

Problems after updating to Norton 360 v 5

[ Edited ]

Hi, i have a problem with my norton 360 version 5. I had the previous version 4 and i updated. the problem is that everytime i turn on my computer, the antivirus says that it need to be fixed, then I click on the bottom to fix, after a while, everything seems not to be working, but the message appear, again. so i click to fix again and nothing. i tried to get support online, after a moment it says that the computer has to be restarted to complete with the fix, but once restared, nothing.. all the same. i uninstalled it once, and installed again, but nothing. i don't know what else to do

[edit: Clarified subject.]

Regular Contributor
Bobcat1

Re: Problems after updating to Norton 360 v 5

Did you check your Norton keys? Maybe there's a mistake one letter or number is missing.  If not, then what I woud do, is to make system restore point, before you change anything on your computer. Write something like " before uninstalling Norton", so  Then , I would  use CCleaner or RevoUninstaller , what Revo and CCleaner  can do  , perhaps, find some remnants of version 4.0 and completely uninstall it, and some artifacts (temp) files of Unistalled/Reinstalled version  5.0. When it cleans those artifacts,reboot your computer and try to install your version 5.0 again. If that deosn't solve the problem, get on chat with Norton.

I would simply then wait for CD release at the retails store.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,864
Solutions: 380

Bobcat -- Norton has it's own special tool -- Norton Removal Tool -- for dealing with corrupted or incomplete installations where completely starting over again may be needed.

And we can point users who need it to a URL to download a one piece installation file for when they can't use the Update Center -- this file is uptodated along the line while any on CDs etc are stuck on the first issue and are not updated.

Hugh
Regular Contributor
Bobcat1

Where is this Norton Removal tool? I also want to know, in the cae I run into th same problem.

Thanks

Regular Contributor
Bobcat1

and here come some more questions, should I uninstall Version 4.0 before installing  5? will vesrion 5.0 automatically ovewrite 4..

If I have to uninstall 4, how do i do that?

huwyngr

Bobcat1 wrote:

and here come some more questions, should I uninstall Version 4.0 before installing  5? will vesrion 5.0 automatically ovewrite 4..

If I have to uninstall 4, how do i do that?

Please keep all your questions about upgrading to V5 in the same thread -- I've answered a whole stream of them just now in the other thread You haven't even upgraded yet and this thread deals with a problem after upgrading.

Do you should not uninstall V4. The first thing V5 will do is ask if you want to keep your settings and then it will uninstall the rest of V4 and install V5.

PLEASE do not complicate things -- stick with one set of instructions and follow them or you will end up in a hopeless mess.

Hugh
Contributor
NancyLynn

My question is this, simply,

What do YOU suggest we do if we didn't install 360 5.0 ourselves, we were NOT asked, via you, nor our computer, of it being done, until it was already a fate accompli', and your technicians were the ones who installed it, without letting us know?

Incidentally, I have had almost EVERYONE of the problems listed on this Forum, since this was done. It took out my Internet Explorer 8.0 completely, which is my preferred system. If I hadn't had Firefox on board for my 4-in-one printer, for operational purposes, I wouldn't have had access to the internet at all! In less than 2 weeks time, I have had more operational problems than can be listed herein.

I won't uninstall this, since everything has gone horrifically wrong, since this was done, supposedly to help after my reporting a "blue screen/blank screen " incident 2weeks ago, it has only become a greater disaster! You put it in, without the o.k., my installing of it is something I WON'T bare the reponsibility for.

Has anyone else herein lost their accessability to their systems, and had unexplained changes done to their toolbars, or mal-functioning ones?

Please respond, if so. Has anyone else had problems with installation of 5.0 without you doing the installing yourself? If so, what were your problems, and what did you do.? Incidentally, I have Windows 7 Home Premium, and Internet Explorer 8. ( After this, I turned down Microsoft's offer of 9 )

NancyLynn

Contributor
NancyLynn

Sorry, to the other people on this Forum.

Not for the content of the post, that is all true, and meant, as are the questions. However, I did not mean to more than hollar at you with the "Hypertext-ing Shouting" of the Rich Text and Font extras. Forgot I wasn't in private message mode!  Sorry once again!

Will still appreciate hearing from other members on their issues/experiences concerning this issue. 

Sincerely,

NancyLynn

huwyngr

Nancy:

What do YOU suggest we do if we didn't install 360 5.0 ourselves, we were NOT asked, via you, nor our computer, of it being done, until it was already a fate accompli', and your technicians were the ones who installed it, without letting us know?

[ ... ]

Do you mean "your" technicians or the Norton System?

So far as I'm aware it does not install without asking you -- it is apparently correct that it downloads the files if you are entitled to them but does not install them until asking you via a pop-up whether you want to run the upgrade or not. I'm pretty certain it does say it's an Upgrade (to V5) and not an Update like you get automatically for definitions etc ....

Not everyone appreciates this way of doing things and I'm pretty certain that in Norton Ideas you will find a message asking for a change -- please locate that and add your kudos to the first message since Norton Management monitor those threads and do pay attention to them as you'll see with some that indicate that it is under active consideration.

I'll let others suggest how best to deal with where you are now -- thanks for the system details -- just one more bit: 32 or 64 ?

BTW We windows 7 users are beginning to get advice in Windows Update that SP1 is being distributed now (my popup came this morning and SP1 is in the Essential but unchecked. You may want to delay until your system is fixed, unless it may be something that SP1 deals with.

Hugh
Contributor
NancyLynn

[ Edited ]

I am now adding on information that I found amongst my notes, there are literally scads of them, by now. But I DID come across the original Priority number fro the "bluescreen/blank screen" event that occured just before the installation of Norton 5.0 via one of your techs. The Priority number for that is : XXXXXXX. I believe the tech I talked with's name was xxxxx. And this was done/reported, on the phone.  I haven't got the last name it seems. But it definitely is this number for the preceding serious problem until Norton 360 5.0 was installed.

And yes, it was done by a Norton tech. I was not asked, nor told until AFTER it had been done. The Upgrade to 5.0, I mean.

Don't know if this will help, but it is definite.

NancyLynn

<<Edit: Removed the priority id and support techs name per the participation guidelines>>