Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
RickRothstein
Accepted Solution

Question regarding installing Norton 360 on a new Windows 8 computer

My new computer will have Windows 8 on it... can I use my original Norton 360 disk (Windows 8 did not exist when I bought it) to install Norton 360 to my Windows 8 computer or will I have to download it from your website (I'd like to avoid going online until my computer is protected by Norton 360 if at all possible)?

yank
Kudos: 2,146
Solutions: 501

Re: Question regarding installing Norton 360 on a new Windows 8 computer

RickRothstein wrote:

My new computer will have Windows 8 on it... can I use my original Norton 360 disk (Windows 8 did not exist when I bought it) to install Norton 360 to my Windows 8 computer or will I have to download it from your website (I'd like to avoid going online until my computer is protected by Norton 360 if at all possible)?

Hi RickRothstein,

What version is your disc?  It should have  year on it for the version.  If it is older than 2012 it is not compatible with WIN 8.  If it is  2012 versionit is also doubtful that it has been updated enough to be compatible with Win 8.

I have seen you other post and will provide an answer there for that question and address your concern about going on line in that response.  Give me some time to answer that post - I am not a reaL fast typist!  :smileywink:

Visitor
RickRothstein

The disk is marked as v6, so it looks like I will have to go the download route. Thanks.

yank
Kudos: 2,146
Solutions: 501

RickRothstein wrote:

The disk is marked as v6, so it looks like I will have to go the download route. Thanks.

Your welcome.  The V 6 is the 2012 version and there were updates to the basic version (which is on the disc you have) and I am not sure the updater would run on Win 8 prior to the update that made v6 compatible with Win 8 - it occurred right at the end of the V6 cycle.  Hope that's understandable.

I do feel you are far better off using the download.

Visitor
RickRothstein

I bought/activated the disk in March 2012, so I bought it well before Windows 8 arrived on the scene, so I am sure it is not up-to-date enough... so it looks like downloading is the way to go (my original hope was that I could install the software, then go on line and get it updated at that point). Anyway, thanks for following up... I really appreciate it.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,358
Solutions: 340

RickRothstein wrote:

Having installed Windows 8 you have Windows Defender running. That will protect you while you download your Norton Product.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.