Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
mikekehrli

Smart Fortress 2012

Hi,

I just had a bout with Smart Fortress 2012.  This is a malware program that takes over your computer, posing as security software.  I got rid of it by downloading and running Norton Eraser.

My biggest question is, how did this program get installed on my computer?  I was running Norton 360 5.0 at the time, but I now see there's an upgrade and have since upgraded to 6.0.  I didn't run any programs that aren't known good programs already on my computer.  If I need to do something else for good protection, I want to know what it is.

I've been running computers since the internet became public.  I've never had a known infection.  I've been using the best possible firewall and antivirus software since the early days of free McAfee.  I'd like to know what I'm missing that I could get my first observable infection while using Norton 360.

mp3jo
Topics: 269
Kudos: 100
Solutions: 113

Re: Smart Fortress 2012

As 2012 Smart Fortress could have installed a root kit as well, a new installation of the system should be considered.

The most important protection against an infect is a current Windows, a current Java and a current Adobe Flash (each with all updates)!

Cheers,
Jo

Graduate of the WTT Classroom

zinkus

I got Smart Fortress 2012 tonight and very annoying it was too. My Norton software was completely useless (FYI: the definitions were minutes old when my laptop was infected).

The Norton firewall was switched on and yet my laptopo got infected.

Mutiple Norton scans couldn't find the Smart fortress thingy, which left me unable to use any programmes on my laptop, access the internet (as the solution given above suggests) and so on

Thankfully I've also got a desktop so thru trial and error and google searches was able to resolve it - with no Norton software or related posts being of any use whatsoever.

Judging by the number of videos on youtube about Smart Fortress, this is a common piece of malware or what have you.

I'm sure there's a wonderfully technical explanation/excuse as to why Norton software was useless (or if I followed however many steps mebbe it isn't).

All I know is I've unthinkingly renewed my annual Norton subscroption in the past. Next time I'll have a good think beforehand.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

mikekehrli wrote:

Hi,

I just had a bout with Smart Fortress 2012.  This is a malware program that takes over your computer, posing as security  

My biggest question is, how did this program get installed on my computer?  I was running Norton 360 5.0 at the time, but I now see there's an upgrade and have since upgraded to 6.0.  I didn't run any programs that aren't known good programs already on my computer.  If I need to do something else for good protection, I want to know what it is.

Sorry it is difficult to say how you got Smart Fortress 2012. Perhaps a website and then you clicked  on a message.

I have raised the issue of Smart Fortrress 2012 with other guru's and Norton staff but no satisfactory response was obtained.

Thankfully there are tools and false license numbers found on the web to resolve this malware.

I can only suggest installing the free copy of malwarebytes and running this once a month.

Visitor
pm1949a

You may have over a thousand posts but this one is totally useless. You wasted my time.

Someone with a solution please help those of us in need.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

[ Edited ]

pm1949a wrote:

You may have over a thousand posts but this one is totally useless. You wasted my time.

hahaha made my day in NZ

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-fortress-2012

Quads

eXOBeX

My guess is that the person really wasting your time is the person who installed Smart Fortress 2012 on your PC in the first place, or possibly the person who allowed such installs to take place without requiring an Administrator password..

huwyngr
Topics: 1,000
Kudos: 2,713
Solutions: 368

pm1949a wrote:

You have just jumped into a thread without stating any problem .... do you have one ..... apart from the obvious one?

If so say what it is and people here will try to help you .... but you have to want help for it to succeed <s>

Hugh
GiedriusMajauskas

There is a gap between fresh version of malware appearing and any antivirus detecting it (well, behavioral scanners aside). Antivirus is only one from several things that protect  PC from infection. Patches to Java and Adobe (and Windows ofc) are important as well, in some cases even more so. 

Btw, haven't seen someone installing Fortress on someones PC, It is more likely an exploit page undetected at that moment. 

dickevans

pm1949a wrote:

And may I say the same for your message - totally useless and a waste of everybody's time

There is no solution to your need - it can't be cured

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21