Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
SigmaOrion
Accepted Solution

Someone is trying to Reset my Norton Account Password (How To Reverse Lookup)

Hi,

I've received 2 attempts in the last 2 hours of someone trying to reset my Norton Account password which has Norton 360 and other Norton products linked to it.

Is it possible to find who is attempting to do this (reverse IP, etc) and how to harden the account (beside the obvious ways of increasing password strength?)

Thanks!

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

Re: Someone is trying to Reset my Norton Account Password (How To Reverse Lookup)

Hi SigmaOrion,

Did you buy your Norton product from an authorized dealer or from an independent party, such as an eBay seller?

SigmaOrion

Re: Someone is trying to Reset my Norton Account Password (How To Reverse Lookup)

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi SigmaOrion,

Did you buy your Norton product from an authorized dealer or from an independent party, such as an eBay seller?

I received a 3 License Copy from PCWorld in the UK.

I've only installed one key (to my laptop) - I plan to install another license to my girlfriend's laptop if they are no issues.

I'd like to know who it is that is trying to gain access to my Account.

Thanks Again!

SendOfJive

[ Edited ]

Hi SigmaOrion,

My concern here would be that whoever sold you the product may have illegally resold the Product Key to another buyer at a later date.  When that second purchaser tries to activate the product they discover that an account is already set up for that Key, at which point they try to gain access to the "mystery" account in order to set up their activation.  They are usually unaware that the reason an account already exists is that they have been sold a Product Key that is already activated.  So, the attempts to access your account may not be malicious, but could be the result of an unscrupulous or careless seller.  At least this is one possible explanation for what is going on, and we have actually seen this situation in the past.  In your situation, I would contact Norton Customer Support to verify your license and to make sure that there are no activations other than your own.  You should be ok, as long as the other person does not gain access to the account.  Customer Support may be able to give you more direction on this.

Preetha_G
Topics: 18
Kudos: 42
Solutions: 8

Hi All,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. We have escalated the issue to the concern team and they are looking into this issue.

Your issues will be resolved as early as possible.

Thanks,

Preetha DG
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Administrator
Dave_Coleman

Hi SigmaOrion,

This is a known issue. Your account password has not been changed, and your account is secure. You have received the email as part of a secure process to ensure only you can reset your account password and you may ignore the email. 

If I get any further information, I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Dave

SendOfJive

Hi Dave,

Is this post possibly related?  After seeing that the password reset notifications were a known issue, and not the result of a third party attempting to change a password, it appeared to me that the following might also be involved:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/change-password-email/m-p/803302/high...

SigmaOrion

Both Preetha and Dave,

First of all thank you for all the advice and support.

If this is a "known issue" or an automated process - than it would be great to have Norton send a note that they will send a "test" reset email.

I do know that the license (all 3 of them) have not been resold and since PCWorld in the UK is the biggest Computer Retail Chain they have a relative decent level of reputation in managing their software keys.

Thanks again and I'll monitor any communication that is out of the ordinary.

Best Regards!

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

SO,

FWIW I have a recollection that PCWorld is one of the suppliers of Norton Gold series products and these have a different activation procedures.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/norton-360-version-6-0-gold-edition-12302313-pdt.html#longDesc 

Whether this has any relation to the emails you are getting I've no idea but there was a time when none of us here knew what on earth a Norton Gold was ....

It's seen occasionally here in the USA too.

Hugh
Administrator
Dave_Coleman

Hi SigmaOrion,

If you still have it, can you forward me the email you received? My email address is visible on my profile.

Thanks!

Dave