Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Visitor
Scotsman11

Tech says chg to Eset Nod32

My newest Computer (Vista) started messing up, "after" I uninstalled my previous ISP software.   I'm sure it was my fault, and I accidentally removed something (beyond) just the software.

Problems that arose were...

IE 32bit stopped working, but, I could still use the 64bit.

High CPU usage, usually runs <5%, now at 50%

Can't open Norton Update with the 64bit IE.

Other than the above, the Computer worked just fine.

So, I put the Computer in the Shop, and the Tech is saying...

I have 121 virus, 835 spy-ware, 272 malware on the Unit, and...

that changing to Eset Nod32 will fix me up, AFTER, he re-images the hard drive.

I CAN NOT believe that Norton360 (frequently updated) has allowed my Computer to become infected with the above crap.

In fact, I think the Technician is giving me some crap and wants a commission on the Nod32 sale.

My question is...

Have you ever herd of the above "3 problems" ?

Is his recommendation valid ?

Could I just change the Norton prog over to the 64bit and just forget about using the 32 bit ?

OR, what about installing Firefox, and just forget the IE ?

Thanks up front !

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,796
Solutions: 777

Re: Tech says chg to Eset Nod32

[ Edited ]

Hi Scotsman11,

I would be dubious of those malware totals, which seem like they could be highly inflated.  Any machine with that much active malware would be running so slowly as to be practically unusable.  You should inquire about what programs were used to detect the threats and the names of the detections - ask to see the logs.  There would be no advantage in moving to Eset, which has not tested as well as Norton in recent independent tests.  Norton would not have allowed all of that malware, so I would be highly suspicious about the tech's claims.

Regular Visitor
Scotsman11

SOJ,

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply ! :smileywink:

I think you may have misunderstood the numbers preceding those names.  I think those are the "ID" of the problem.

I searched for them, but only could find results on the 121 Virus, which was identified as the "CIADOOR 121 Virus".  There was no information on the other two over the Internet.

As stated, I too am very suspicious of what the Tech wrote me.  I've been a User of Norton for a LONG time, and given my experience, there's nothing that Eset can do, that Norton can't.  And, I am NOT going to change horses now !

I just called MicroCenter here in Houston and toll them to hold up on any more work on the Unit.  I sincerely believe that I can use that Computer still, but, I need to know...

O)  The 32 bit IE was "impaired" by my actions.  But, the 64 bit worked perfectly, except that it would not do the Automatic Updates via the Internet to Norton Website.  I would be willing to forgo using the 32bit, and just use the 64 bit as my primary Internet program and the question is...

How do I change my Norton 360 over to opening up / using the 64 bit, instead of the 32 bit ?

(toggle something / reinstall Norton / just what ?

For your edification, and just in case I misunderstood what the Tech said, I'm copying his statement below.

Please comment on the content if you'd like...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Hi

You have virus/malware/spyware in your computer. 121 virus, 835 spyware, 272 malware. that's what cause all your issue that you listed. the best next step is reimage your computer, that mean empty out the hard drive and start fresh.

below is the quote price for your repair: (recommending first one). let me know which service you need

data backup, security protection, reimage hard drive =$250.
security protection, reimage hard drive =$200.
reimage drive only=$100

Security package come with 3 software in one discount price. software include Eset nod32, Malwarebyte, and tune-up utility. Eset nod32 protect you from virus, Malwarebyte protect you from Malware and Spyware, and tune-up utility keep your computer optimized and speed up your computer. with the purchase of the above software, if you ever get virus into your system again we will service your computer at no cost.

Thanks

ML

Micro Center
Service Technician"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks again for your assistance.
SendOfJive

I still think those are quantities, not names.  The numbers used in malware identification are usually there to distinguish one variant from another. 

peterweb
Kudos: 1,373
Solutions: 343

I'm sure that if you get your computer back from the tech there will be enough people here to help  you get this sorted out.

It will also cost a lot less.  :smileywink:

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
norroc

Coming from personal experience I would highly recommend against NOD32.  A couple of years ago while between Norton subscriptions a local well known computer store recommended NOD32 so I bought it.  It let a Virtumonde/Vundo virus right through without even flinching, then it was just about impossible to remove. NOD32 didn't even see it.  Spybot S&D saw it but was unable to remove it.  I finally had to remove the drive, install it as a secondary drive on another machine, then after booting into WIndows with the primary drive ran Norton (which by now I had bought) on the secondary drive.  Norton removed the virus.  Needless to say I've been with Norton ever since (although I hate the version 6 UI) and would NEVER go near NOD32 again.

Regular Visitor
Scotsman11

norrok,

I too have had the Nod experience, and you see where I'm at now :smileyvery-happy:

I have my computer back now, and still am looking for an answer to my previous question...

How does one divert/force the existing Norton360 program ,to start using the 64bit IE, instead of the 32bit. ?

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

Microsoft makes the 32 bit IE the default precisely because so many things don't yet work well with IE 64.  There's little major advantage in using the 64 bit version IE at present and Nortons are not fully compatible at least so far as the toolbar is concerned although as you may have seen the 2013 versions are now in public beta testing -- NO please don't try it on your PC or you will have an even worse problem from using a beta on a machine you want to rely on.

Have you thought of using the Repair functions in Windows to see if it will repair your IE -- System FIle Checker for example or the actual repair function -- not the System Restore that just moves back in time.

Or even reinstalling Internet Explorer -- choose your version:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie 

Hugh
Regular Visitor
Scotsman11

huwyngr,

Thank you for your reply.  UOO, your suggestions are a bit over my head, but, I will try to get something started.  Understand, that my IE32 is inoperative.  When I click on a link, it shows a/the page which says it cannot connect, and does so with every attempt (a write in/favorites/click on a furnished link).

IF I can't accomplish a repair on my IE32, do you think that an alternative like Firefox would be a viable option ?

I've herd that it's rather user friendly, and just as apt as IE.  Then, change my N360 over to allow use with the Firefox if that's possible ?.

SendOfJive

Have you tried troubleshooting the issue with IE 32-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196