Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Jormungandr

Thanks For Firefox 22, But What About Firefox 23?

I see Norton Vulnerability Protection now works for Firefox 22. Has Norton taken steps to insure that this doesn't happen again with Firefox 23, which is due to be released on August 6?
yank
Kudos: 2,148
Solutions: 501

Re: Thanks For Firefox 22, But What About Firefox 23?

I guess the answer to that would be dependent on Mozilla  not making any last minute changes that require major re-work on Norton's part as happened with FF 22!

peterweb
Kudos: 1,360
Solutions: 340

For FF 23, Norton had the full beta time period to test for compatibility, rather than just a week or two with the last minute changes to FF 22.

Norton, and all other security companies, can only work with what they are given in a timely manner.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
rstaaf

[ Edited ]

The only thing keeping me from ditching Firefox alltogether is a robust add blocking solution for IE like Adblock Plus that is available for Firefox.  Fortunately the developers at Adblock Plus are working on a version for IE and it is in beta now.  Once it is released I will be saying goodbye to Firefox permanently.

If you search the forums of other security software makers you will find similar complaints about their add-ons for Firefox breaking with new releases.  There was someone that posted here about similar threads on Kaspersky's forums.  The problem is Firefox has moved to a rapid release model and with each new release there can be drastic changes that could put Norton and other add-on makers in a position to have to completely re-write their code to be compatible with a new release of Firefox.  The other problem is these drastic changes can come at the last minute before a release as they did with Firefox 22. Mozilla seems to be un-concerned about their changes breaking things but Norton has to take the time to test their software before releasing it and that takes some time. 

Firefox is losing marketshare on a regular basis, Chrome has taken much of it and IE is gaining back ground that it lost over the years.

I think the developers at Mozilla have lost their way and forgotten why most of us started using Firefox in the first place...

Just my 2 cents, take them or leave them...

Bob

Super Spyware Scolder
Scoop8

rstaaf wrote:

The only thing keeping me from ditching Firefox alltogether is a robust add blocking solution for IE like Adblock Plus that is available for Firefox.  Fortunately the developers at Adblock Plus are working on a version for IE and it is in beta now.  Once it is released I will be saying goodbye to Firefox permanently.

If you search the forums of other security software makers you will find similar complaints about their add-ons for Firefox breaking with new releases.  There was someone that posted here about similar threads on Kaspersky's forums.  The problem is Firefox has moved to a rapid release model and with each new release there can be drastic changes that could put Norton and other add-on makers in a position to have to completely re-write their code to be compatible with a new release of Firefox.  The other problem is these drastic changes can come at the last minute before a release as they did with Firefox 22. Mozilla seems to be un-concerned about their changes breaking things but Norton has to take the time to test their software before releasing it and that takes some time. 

Firefox is losing marketshare on a regular basis, Chrome has taken much of it and IE is gaining back ground that it lost over the years.

I think the developers at Mozilla have lost their way and forgotten why most of us started using Firefox in the first place...

Just my 2 cents, take them or leave them...

Bob

Good points.  As an IE user, I've not had problems with ads since IE9 was launched.  I agree that IE lost ground when they had issues.  It takes time to overcome the perception of the past problems.

Since installing IE10 I've only had one issue relating to the removal of Tracking Cookies.  Except for that issue which was resolved by the members here, it's been working well.

I use the built-in "PrivacyChoice" blocker in IE10 with good results.   I started using it during the last year with IE9.