Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
jadami68

Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT

Having the latest version of Norton 360, having kept up with the live updates, and having used it regularly to scan for problems, I am having difficulty understanding how I've gotten 2 Trojan horses in the last month.  The latest one is Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT which is not a new Trojan horse.  Norton 360 never detected the presence of either Trojan horse.  They were found by using my backup:  Lavasoft's Ad Aware.  How is this possible??????

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

Re: Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT

Hi jadami68,

There have been a few false positives reported for this detection on the LavaSoft forums.  No antimalware product catches every threat, so it is possible that AdAware detected something that was missed by Norton.  But it is also possible that LavaSoft mistakenly flagged a harmless file as malicious.  You can submit the file to Lavasoft for evaluation as outlined here:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18033

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Hi Jadami68,

Welcome to Norton Community!

Please provide the file details which was detected as Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT by AdAware. If possible, submit those files to Symantec Security Response:

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/submitsamples.jsp

Sometimes, it happened in such a way that Norton may have repaired the infected file, but the AdAware still detected it as a threat.

Yogesh

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello Jadami68

If possible, you could also submit the file(s) to

Another alternative which is fast you can use Threat Expert:

http://www.threatexpert.com/submit.aspx

(Thanks to Yaso for providing the links)

ThreatExpert will probably give you the quickest report back. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

jadami68

Thank you all for your insight.  I will attempt to forward the file to Lavasoft as suggested.  And, I'll check out the other sites recommended.  Appreciate your help.

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello jadami68

Another thing to consider is even if the name of the malware has been around for a while, that does not mean that the malware has stood still and not been altered to avoid detection. Malware is always mutating just like the Flu mutates every year and you need to get annual Flu shots to prevent or try to prevent the Flu. Even with a Flu shot, you can still get the Flu, but the chances are lessened and a new strain of the Flu may arise as we saw with the H1N1 flu of recent years.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.