Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Scottmm

Trying to install Norton 360 5.0 Premier Edition..HELP!!!

I loaded it on my first laptop, little glitchy but go it to install.  But, only gave me 2 GB vs. 25 GB.  Had to finally get on their chat, fixed it but took an hour :-(

The Norton 360 5.0 Premier Edition, says for up to three computers, so have TRIED unsuccessfully to install on two other laptop, CD with show up, box comes up to click to install program but then just won't go any further???  Please help.  

My next step was to download Symantec’s uninstall program and then try to install, the uninstall tool won't work???

Please help.  Thanks in advance!

P.S. I Googled Norton 360 5.0 Premier Edition others have had same problem, no solutions.  I will make sure to post on Facebook / LinkedIn, Twitter... don't buy Norton 360 5.0 Premier Edition, it obviously is a lemon.

Regular Contributor
Tightpants

Re: Trying to install Norton 360 5.0 Premier Edition..HELP!!!

go to you'r account and download it from the other computers.

dickevans

Scottmm wrote:

I loaded it on my first laptop, little glitchy but go it to install.  But, only gave me 2 GB vs. 25 GB.  Had to finally get on their chat, fixed it but took an hour :-(

The Norton 360 5.0 Premier Edition, says for up to three computers, so have TRIED unsuccessfully to install on two other laptop, CD with show up, box comes up to click to install program but then just won't go any further???  Please help.  

My next step was to download Symantec’s uninstall program and then try to install, the uninstall tool won't work???

Please help.  Thanks in advance!

P.S. I Googled Norton 360 5.0 Premier Edition others have had same problem, no solutions.  I will make sure to post on Facebook / LinkedIn, Twitter... don't buy Norton 360 5.0 Premier Edition, it obviously is a lemon.

Welcome,

You didn't mention the brand of laptop. Some of them come with preinstalled security software - including trial version of Norton products. There are also the Microsoft products to be considered. Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials do not play well together. Norton will disable the unwanted parts of Windows Defender as it installe because it is used by other programs.

If you can't download and use the removal tool you might already be infected with something. On a clean computer download and install the Norton Removal Tool and the Norton Power Eraser onto a flash drive. Boot your problem laptop to safe mode and run full scans using the programs on the flash drive. After rebooting try to install 360 again.

If that doesn't work there are bigger hammers that can be called into play.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Visitor
Scottmm

Hi Dick,

I had Norton 360 v 4 before on both laptops, I installed off of the store bought product CD.  Ran a scan before install, so no viruses.

Both laptops are HP, one Vista and the other Windows 7.  Windows Defender is on both but never has been a problem before.  I kind of like the double layer of security and again, wasn't a problem with Norton v 4.

I installed it on my daughters, finally, after many tries.  She has a Dell laptop, Windows 7.

Any other suggestions much appreciated.  Becoming aa Anti-Norton fan after many years.

Thanks again,

Scott

Visitor
Scottmm

I bought the box product, I am doing the install off of a CD.

Visitor
Scottmm

On one laptop it FINALLY installed, gave me a Product Key number, I did a Liveupdate and then told me to restart.  But once back up, gave me an errow and then had me scan for fix, then said have to go to web for help, won't go, error???

Any help is MUCH appreciate.

Tks 

Scott

NOT a Norton fan.... i was warned about v. 5 but didn't listen :-(

Visitor
Scottmm

Re: Solution, Trying to install Norton 360 5.0 Premier Edition..HELP!!!

Well... Chat tech support seconded time....

Overview of solution.

Run virus updates and scan before starting, which I did.

Downlown Norton Removal Tool, remove Norton if you have earlier version.

I have box product, purchase, so put in CD and run. Select CD install or whatever you did run.  It takes couple tries on several of these steps.  Wait, took five minutes for dialog box to finally come up.

if it doesn't work, Google, Norton Chat and get a support person to help you and tell them you are in a hurry. First time didn't mention, I think they were helping others at the same time.  Took over an hour.  Second time, said in hurry, ten minutes.

Hope that helps!!!

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

Hi Scottmm.

I'm glad it sound as if you are now sorted.  

Two points I would pick up:-

I see you seem to have been going from a standard Norton 360 to a Premium.  Normally you are advised to uninstall the old version if you are changing, even from standard to premium.

You also say " Windows Defender is on both but never has been a problem before.  I kind of like the double layer of security and again, wasn't a problem with Norton v 4."  I think you will find that those on this forum strongly advise against having two active security products running at the same time.  They are likely to end up chasing each other's tails and in doing so will use up computer resources and may miss the real threat.  So try it if you want, but be warned................ 

yank
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 512

@ scottmm,

You may want to double check your Windows Defender, you may think it is on, but unless you tuned it back on itt should not be. The installation of N 360 turns it off by default (as well as the windows firewall). 

I have seen some weird problems in the past with both Defender and Norton running.  I have heard they run OK side by side on some systems , but as general rule of thumb, Norton says to leave defender disabled.

dickevans

iware wrote:

I kind of like the double layer of security and again .

Hi,

The only problem with this 'double' layer of security is the known conflicts. The result of them can be reduced or no security. Windows defender  needs to be disabled so that the other programs using it can and Norton isn't compromised. Micorsoft Security Essentials needs to be uninstalled so that it doesn't compromise Norton.

Some users have reported being able to run two realtime security programs without error messages. If you feel safer doing so I can only say that it isn't recommended. Your choice.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21