Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
rodcr

Unable to download the JAVA 6 ver21 update

[ Edited ]

I have just downloaded for the third time the JAVA 6 ver21 update and eachtime Norton tells me gleefully that it has stop part of it being installed because its a virus. I would love to copy and paste the report I get but it wont let me drag over and highlight.

Is Java safe? Why cant I copy and paste?

Edit: Subject edited for clarity

Volunteer
Vineeth

Re: Hello :(

Hi,

Can you go to Quarantine and check whether you can see the entry of Java there. If it is present, restore it. Make sure that you select the option "exclude from future scan" when you restore it.

Vineeth

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Re: Unable to download the JAVA 6 ver21 update

Hello rodcr

Where are you attempting to download version 21 from? If it is in quarantine, please submit it to Symantec for further analysis so that they can adjust their definitions.

Please use this link if you think that a file is a false positive:
https://submit.symantec.com/dispute/

If there is a possibility that the file might be infected, please submit it to Symantec using this link:

https://submit.symantec.com/websubmit/retail.cgi

Another alternative which is fast you can use Threat Expert:

http://www.threatexpert.com/submit.aspx

(Thanks to Yaso for providing the links)

Please come back and let us know if you are able to do this.

Java really shouldn't be excluded from scanning as Java does get infected at times which is the reason for their many updates. Version 21 isn't an update based on necessity due to security reasons.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Spyware Scolder
pehhawaiiisland

I tried to download it and Norton stopped the download on my too. Must be infected. If it is not needed then I would pass on this.
Spyware Scolder
pehhawaiiisland

Sorry to barge in here, but would using IE8 instead of Firefox for the download make a difference?
Spyware Scolder
pehhawaiiisland

I find this forum so interesting and informative. I got Java21 installed. I did a right click Norton file insight and Norton network scan. I saw it remove nothing, but my security log showed unauthorized data was blocked and an IPS submission took place. This was a difficult install. Paul
Spyware Scolder
pehhawaiiisland

Hello floplot, What I saw as a result of installing version 21 is the old java plugin that was marked with an exclamation point and a caution not to use in Firefox 3.6.6 was removed. The only plugin showing now is version 21. I guess this is a security update of sorts that Java removed the old outdated plugin that was hanging useless. Paul
Norton Fighter
mdturner

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul

Here is a link to a forum article posted by amysheehan that provides info on update 21

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Vmain-class-keylogger/m-p/250087#M118...

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello pehhawaiiisland

When you install a new version of Java, the new version is supposed to uninstall the old version. Sometimes it doesn't do it completely I find. I think it was just cleaning up after itself. I haven't tried getting version 21 yet.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Spyware Scolder
pehhawaiiisland

There were two versions in the firefox plugin list. In addition to version 20 there was version 19 that was marked with an exclamation point and a warning to not use it. The 21 update deleted the older version plus version 20. Myself, it's an event when I use Java at all. It is so much trouble with Firefox and that is another story not related to this subject. Good luck on the Java 21. Paul