Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
poppy123
Topics: 15
Kudos: 0
Solutions: 1

Updating virus definitions - will not update!

Been trying for two days to update the virus definitions.  Haven't been on this laptop for 23 days.  360 v.3, windows XP.

I've tried both FTP and the other link from the support link.  About 3% update will download then it is if it can't load anymore.

I won't  use this lap top because the virus def. are so out of date!  This is a little ridiculous.

I've run the disk cleanup and defragmenter.  I have plenty of memory.  I'm using wild blue satellite DSL and the signal is excellent.

HELP!!!

Super Spam Squasher
boneidle

Re: Updating virus definitions - will not update!

I just update my definitions without a problem.

Are you running any other security type prog's ?

Also, have you tried running 'Malwarebytes, just in case you have any malware ?

Link below.

Download the free version, install, update, then do a full scan.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hi poppy123

You could also check your system clock to make sure that is correct, month, date and year and the correct time zone too. Please also check to see if you have all your windows updates also.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

poppy123

I've not had difficulty updating in a long time.  This laptop sat unused for 23 days is the only factor that's different.  I've always been diligent to live update, disk clean, and defrag.  I'll try the malware.

Super Spam Squasher
boneidle

[ Edited ]

I don't think you mentioned what the SP number is on your XP  laptop.

i.e. 2  or  3.

I would go for sp3 if you haven't already got it .

Have you got Windows set for Automatic Updates ?

As you haven't used your laptop for so long, have you done a manual 'Windows Update' since you started it up again.

There's been a few updates in the last few weeks, some which could need updating manually.

Have you got a little yellow 'Shield' Icon on your taskbar.

And I think there is a version update coming out for N360.

The release is being controlled, so you might, or might not, get it yet.

You will most likely have to do a manual 'Run LiveUpdate' from the bottom of your Norton window to get it, and then do a 'Restart'.

Click 'Help & Support' on your norton window, and then About, to see what version you have got.

poppy123

Windows Auto update keeps it updated. System clock is correct. After about an hour the one-click update checking of my Norton 360 came back to say the internet connection was not good! Something seems to be wrong with connecting the server.?...
Super Spam Squasher
boneidle

I didn't think SP3 came as an Auto Update, but never mind, as long as you've got it.

poppy123

I'm using Norton 360 v 3.5.2.1.1;  Windows XP  SP3;   Automatic update is on.

I'v manually updated wWindows.

With Norton LiveUpdate it will run a little whild and say  it is downloading updates.  Then, it always comes back with something like "unable to load all the updates"  so I keep doing that.  So, Im thinking something is wrong.

I've tried to download the Malware bytes but, now that I think of it, everything I try to download will download about 3 % then it will seem to "hang up" and acts like it won't download anymore.

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hi poppy

Please see if you can download malwarebytes from this site instead.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because the malware writers some times block the security programs' websites.

When you first started up your computer after not using it in a long time, did you try rebooting your modem and router and then start up your computer again so that you can get a  new ip and a fresh connection.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Super Spam Squasher
boneidle

[ Edited ]

What happens if you open up another User Account, using a completely different name, give it Administrator Rights.

Then reboot and logon to that user.