Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
whbos

Upgrade/Renewal Prices Don't Make Sense

I'm up for renewal in a few weeks and I'm not sure I want to spend nearly $100 for an upgrade when Norton 360 v6 seems to have a lot of problems (I just uninstalled it).

When trying to renew within 360 v5, one year subscription is $89.99

When trying to renew outside of the program, it's showing $79.99 here:  http://buy.norton.com/estore/mf/upgradeRenewal

Symantec never had good upgrade prices to begin with, but why should I pay $10 more when I'm upgrading within the program?  I might do better buying the full version in a store.  Somebody needs to check into this.

My other related question:  What if I don't want to upgrade to Version 6?  Can I just renew?  I don't like the interface of Version 6 and Cloud or whatever it is run under doesn't operate very well when trying to click on items.  The renew page doesn't show renewal and just wants me to upgrade.  I would imagine renewals would not require me to pay for a full version if I don't want Version 6.

I've been with Norton since the1980's and Version 5 might be my last upgrade if the pricing can't be more in tune with upgrades and not full versions.  Even Adobe has better upgrade pricing and everyone knows how expensive they are.

dickevans

Re: Upgrade/Renewal Prices Don't Make Sense

whbos wrote:

I'm up for renewal in a few weeks and I'm not sure I want to spend nearly $100 for an upgrade when Norton 360 v6 seems to have a lot of problems (I just uninstalled it).

When trying to renew within 360 v5, one year subscription is $89.99

When trying to renew outside of the program, it's showing $79.99 here:  http://buy.norton.com/estore/mf/upgradeRenewal

Symantec never had good upgrade prices to begin with, but why should I pay $10 more when I'm upgrading within the program?  I might do better buying the full version in a store.  Somebody needs to check into this.

It has been checked many times. The fact is that Norton cannot sell their products for less than their resale partners or they would soon be without resellers. Buying a new copy, especially when the product goes on sale, is a long standing practice. The only cautions are that you but the same flavor of the product and that you wait until a day or two before your current subscription expires to install the new key.

My other related question:  What if I don't want to upgrade to Version 6?  Can I just renew?  I don't like the interface of Version 6 and Cloud or whatever it is run under doesn't operate very well when trying to click on items.  The renew page doesn't show renewal and just wants me to upgrade.  I would imagine renewals would not require me to pay for a full version if I don't want Version 6.

There is no 'requirement' for you to update to the newer version. There are several strong recommendations why you should. The technology changes have gone well past some of v5's walls and there are many new threats that v5 is not aware of, even when kept up to the minute by pulse updates.

I've been with Norton since the1980's and Version 5 might be my last upgrade if the pricing can't be more in tune with upgrades and not full versions.  Even Adobe has better upgrade pricing and everyone knows how expensive they are.

Please see my comment above. Norton does run 'sales' from time to time but your local brick and morter outlet can usually do better, more tru as the time gets nearer for the next version to appear.

The choices are yours. We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Contributor
whbos

There is a requirement if Version 5 no longer works after the subscription expires.  In other words, Version 5 becomes useless and I have to rebuy the software.  I think Symantec should have better options for renewing and not forcing us into rebuying software.  They could have better pricing for just renewing.  Nowhere on the website have I found a place to renew.

You didn't answer my question about the conflicting prices.  I noticed the only difference between the regular 360 and the Premiere Edition is online backup storage space and both are the same price.  The upgrade price through the software is higher while the regular price through the browser is about ten dollars cheaper.  Ten dollars off for an upgrade is hardly an upgrade at all.  Why would anyone bother with the lower-end product if the prices are the same?

Unfortunately since Symantec is the leader in security software, they know there are no alternatives.  I hope they improved the backup part of the software.  It's always been very slow and time consuming to delete specific content.  The new interface stinks.  I like the old one better.  This one looks like a webpage.

Contributor
tomg88

Especially when Staples will sell it for around $40 for the new program on sale.  I've done that in the past.

dickevans

whbos wrote:

There is a requirement if Version 5 no longer works after the subscription expires.  In other words, Version 5 becomes useless and I have to rebuy the software.  I think Symantec should have better options for renewing and not forcing us into rebuying software.  They could have better pricing for just renewing.  Nowhere on the website have I found a place to renew.

There is no requirement before or after the expiration date. If the price of a new box is much less than the cost of renewing buy the box and use only the key. It will work. What ooptions would you suggest remembering that you can never undersell your retail partners? Just for the record - you are never buying the software. You are buying a subscription to use the software for a given period of time.

The best place to find the word 'renew' is on the opening screen of the software.

You didn't answer my question about the conflicting prices.  I noticed the only difference between the regular 360 and the Premiere Edition is online backup storage space and both are the same price.  The upgrade price through the software is higher while the regular price through the browser is about ten dollars cheaper.  Ten dollars off for an upgrade is hardly an upgrade at all.  Why would anyone bother with the lower-end product if the prices are the same?

I'm not sure I understand where the coflict is. Symantec/Norton has a marketing division that does it's best to provide their products at market level prices. If there's almost no difference in the cost of two products then it is up to the buyer to review the features and select the one that best meets their needs.

Unfortunately since Symantec is the leader in security software, they know there are no alternatives.  I hope they improved the backup part of the software.  It's always been very slow and time consuming to delete specific content.  The new interface stinks.  I like the old one better.  This one looks like a webpage.

The best place to make suggestions on how to improve products is in the product suggestion forum. The staff goes there to seek ideas.

Hope this helps

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Contributor
whbos

[ Edited ]

I may go the route with purchasing it at Staples because online I've seen so many different prices for the same product ($99, 79, 89).  I even found the non-Premier Edition for as low as 49.99 at the Symantec website.  The pricing makes no sense especially when the Premier and Standard are going for the same price.

Norton 360 Standard has less backup storage so it should be lower priced.  One place on the Symantec website it's going for the same price as Premiere Edition.  Doesn't anybody ever check out the inconsistencies in their store?  That's what happens when they hire cheap labor.

My point isn't so much about the price being too high for an upgrade.  It's about pricing for upgrades and why there are so many different prices all over the Symantec website for the same product.  It should be the same in all places.

This link has Norton 360 v6 Standard for $89.99:

http://buy.norton.com/estore/mf/landingProductFeatures?rdid=b2973d4b-301d-4790-9e02-50f2b17f97011330...

This link has the same thing for $59.99:

http://buy.norton.com/estore/mf/productDetails/listPriceGroupId/0/productSkuCode/21204007/priceGroup...

Through N360 v5 Premiere program it's $119.99.  Regularly 149.99.  I didn't think the link would work since it was through my software.

This link has both Premier and Standard going for $79.99

http://buy.norton.com/estore/mf/upgradeRenewal

And here's another one for the Premier version:

http://us.norton.com/360-premier-edition/

Do you get my drift?  In other words, I could miss out on a deal by selecting the wrong upgrade page.  I have to go fishing for the right page to get the right deal.  Symantec needs to stop counting dollars and fix their store.

Visitor
HCPoston

I bought at OfficeMax when on sale and used the CD and the uninstall process has wiped out my CD driver and drive letters ... I think its Norton's way of getting me to renew online ... caution to you that if you buy retail, use online downloading feature with access codes instead of inserting CD ... I have been trying to fix my drive issue all day with Norton technical and they fixed one PC but other two are dead in the water and they do not know how to fix it ... quite frustrating

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

[ Edited ]

I don't think it has been made clear that you can "renew" the licence for Norton 360 V5 using a KEY from a purchased copy of Norton 360 any version since 2008 I think it is. But certainly if you can but cheaply from a store with a bunch of discounts and rebates then do so and use the KEY to extend the subscription to your earlier product.

Just note that if you do it before the expiry of the subscription any unexpired days are wiped out so we recommend doing it say a couple of days before expiry in case something needs fixing. If you make a mistake and lose a lot of days then the Norton OnLine CHAT team have a good reputation for restoring the lost days ....

We can even give you a link to download V5 in the last version available for download and so much more uptodate than any disk.

Hugh
Regular Contributor
whbos

I went ahead and purchased Norton Internet Security and gave up on 360 v6.  Too many headaches with it killing my internet connection and too many conflicting prices here.  I got the full product for $30 from a reputable website and activated it without any problems.  I'm very pleased with it so far and not all the hassles like with 360 v6.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

Glad to hear that worked out for you.

If it's a 3 PC version and you want to install on other computers you can do that by going, while on the other computer, to your MyNortonAccount used to activate and clicking on the Download button -- that will download it using a download manager, install it and activate it all automatically ...... And it will be the current download and not frozen to the one on the disk you bought.

Hugh