Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
sparkync

Using "Disc clean up and disc defrag"

Can I safely use the disc clean up and disc deframentor if I have Norton 360 installed?  Also is it safe and beneficial to enable the "registry clean up" option on the "Task settings" menu?  Thanks

Norton Fighter
mdturner

Re: Using "Disc clean up and disc defrag"

sparkync wrote:

Can I safely use the disc clean up and disc deframentor if I have Norton 360 installed?  Also is it safe and beneficial to enable the "registry clean up" option on the "Task settings" menu?  Thanks

Hi sparkync

You can indeed safely use disk cleanup and disk defragmenter with Norton 360 installed.

If you use registry cleanup you should do so with some caution and always make sure that your registry is backed up so that you can recover it.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

Contributor
sparkync

Sorry to be so dumb, but what exactly does "registry" mean and how do I back it up?  Thanks.. I'm learning all the time on the computer, but have a lot to go :)  Thanks

delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

There is some good information here, as well as a very good rule of thumb.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-tech/clean-computer-registry.htm

"Registry cleaning is not without risks. This is a very sensitive area of your computer, and if you're happy with how your computer is running, don't go digging around. Trying to manually edit your registry can create errors in the registry that make it impossible to load Windows. Some registry-cleaning programs have been known to delete important registry keys or essential DLL files."

You can't necessarily trust programs to always make the right judgment call.  Wait until you can recognize what it might not be wise to clean out before registry cleaning.

Defrag is a good thing.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain