Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
bigrick18
Accepted Solution

Virus

I think I have a virus but norton doesnt pick anything up. The symptoms are all of the web screens seem smaller and my toolbar added a button that was to an adult site. What should i do if norton isn't picking anthing up? I ran norton in safe mode and no risk reported and i also ran malerwarebytes and same thing.

Regular Contributor
artfreak

Re: Virus

download and run malwarebytes thru "file hippo" make sure to click the malwarebytes latest version not spy doc.

update it then run it. Malwarebytes is free use the free one it runs only when you update and tell it too so it plays safe with norton.

If it finds anything hi lite it check mark it and tell it either deleter or quaranine it.

Regular Contributor
bigrick18

what is the link to malewarebytes

floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,024
Solutions: 361

Hello bigrick18

Here is the link for the free version of Malwarebytes

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

I Thought the thread creator stated  he had Malwarebytes??

"I ran norton in safe mode and no risk reported and i also ran malerwarebytes and same thing."  

Well he should have by his previous threads,  Malwarebytes has an update tab in the program

Quads

Regular Contributor
bigrick18

when i try to  run malewarebtyes, it gets half way and then says error, then it shuts down and never finishes the scan. What should i do?

floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,024
Solutions: 361

Hello bigrick18

Please see if you can run a HiJackThis. Perhaps that will be able to run to it's completion and show something that may be helpful.

Please download HiJackThis from  http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/    Choose the executable and save it on your desktop. Run the file and select the first option on the main menu "Do a system scan and save a log file". When this is finished, Notepad will open with the log file in it. Save the log file and attach it to a post here via the Add Attachments Please don't attempt to fix anything that it shows until someone checks out the log. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Regular Contributor
bigrick18

here the file, also at first when i tried to run it a screen came up and said that "system denied write access to the hosts file" when i click ok it still ran and i got this log

Regular Contributor
bigrick18

does anyone know how to read the log and if so does everything seem ok

Symantec Employee
REvans

Hey Rick, I'm not super familiar with HijackThis logs, but I know that if you right click the program and select "Run as administrator", you will not be given the error about the hosts file.

Also,let's talk about the symptoms.  Sometimes small text just means that the zoom level was changed for your browser.  If you are using Firefox, go to "View" then "Zoom" and select "Reset".  This should make your windows look normal again.  If you are using Internet Explorer, hit the "Alt" button on your keyboard to make sure the menu at the top shows up.  Then click on "View" then "Zoom" and select "100%".  This should make pages in IE look normal again.

As for the adult add, you might be able to disable the toolbar it is part of.  In Firefox, to disable toolbars, go to "Tools" then "Add-ons".  From that window you can disable any Extensions or Plugins that you feel should not be there.  For Internet Explorer, hit "Alt", then go to "Tools" and "Manage add-ons".  You can disable suspicious things from there.