Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
pbmferro

Vista Security Tool

My desktop became infected with the Vista Security Tool malware.  Norton 360 didn't catch it, and couldn't fix it.  I eventually fixed it with a combination of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spyware Doctor, and tinkering with the registry to restore the original etc/hosts file.  I'm going to assume that you are already aware of this issue, this is just FYI.  My system has the latest updates from Windows Vista and Norton, but it became infected anyway.  Tech Support offered to fix the problem remotely for $99.  Seems strange that I would have to pay for something I supposedly already paid for.

Regards

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Re: Vista Security Tool

Hello pbmferro

Welcome to the Norton Users Discussion Forum

Unfortunately, there isn't even 1 security program out there that is 100 % effective. They try to do the best they can do. The problem is that these malware change so rapidly and make such slight changes that it can slip thru the security programs.  If you would have come to the Forum when your problem started, chances are that we could have helped you to clean up your computer and it would have been free help also. Thanks for relating your experience with us. If you do have a problem again, please feel free to come here with your problem when it first appears.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

pbmferro

Thank you for the response.  Unfortunately, the design of this malware is such that it blocks access to any websites known to provide a possible response (such as norton.com).  I was able to obtain help only by using another non-infected computer running Windows XP.

Regards

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that you were able to work out how to deal with it.

Hugh
galtar

Similar problem windows 7

I got the same security tool thing. I have windows 7, when i got the thing i didnt have norton, i had a free anti virus called COMODO internet security wich was not good at all. The COMODO cught a rouge scanner and then all of a sudden i have this thing called security tool on my computer giving me bogus messages about infections and when ever i tried to do any thing to the to, it would erase all my icons and reset my my settings. First thing i tried to do a system restore wich didnt work becuase it would say a program stopped me from performing a system restore. I called HP support and they said i had to buy a $99 service, i bought in fear of my $1000 computer being destroyed by this thing. They did there little service by installing a bunch of free programs that i could have gotten myself such as malware bytes and a free trial of superantispyware. These programs found and suposedly removed them but when i would do more scans it would just come back up again.As a last resort i restored my to factory settings using sytem recovery on my computer. I didnt use a disk or anything becuase i had forgotten to make recovery discs. After the system restore i left my computer alone for a while and went out and bought Norton 360. So far everything has been normal norton comes up with nothing and niether does Malwarebytes.

So my question is: Did the restore to factory settings get rid of it? I havnt been able to get a real answer, and i dont know much about viruses and such.email:crileym21@live.com

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Re: Similar problem windows 7

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

Re: Similar problem windows 7

[ Edited ]

galtar wrote:

[ ... ] I called HP support and they said i had to buy a $99 service, i bought in fear of my $1000 computer being destroyed by this thing.

[ ... ] As a last resort i restored my to factory settings using sytem recovery on my computer. I didnt use a disk or anything becuase i had forgotten to make recovery discs. After the system restore i left my computer alone for a while and went out and bought Norton 360. So far everything has been normal norton comes up with nothing and niether does Malwarebytes.

So my question is: Did the restore to factory settings get rid of it? I havnt been able to get a real answer, and i dont know much about viruses and such.email:crileym21@live.com

You refer to HP wanting $99 -- did you mean HP or Norton since teh latter has a $99 malware removal service ?

If it was HP because you have an HP/Compaq machine I presume you did a restore to factory condition using the Recovery Manager utility installed by HP on their machines -- is this correct?

If so then your machine was wiped clean in the restore process in the same way that you get if you use the recovery media.

The only exception that might apply to this (and I don't know if this is possible or likely but several several people here would know) would be if it is possible to infect the Master Boot Record and if this is not cleared by restoring to factory condition. See what is said about this.

BTW -- Did you know that you can buy the recovery media for many HP/Compaq machines for about $20 delivered? It's a worthwhile investment in case your drive crashes and has to be replaced (but of course you need off-machine backups of your personal files ....

When you can use it the Recovery Manager has one advantage over the media and that is you can recover individual files or applications installed by HP when you start the Recovery Manager but not if you use the media whick will only do a complete restore which is why HP recommend not deleting the recovery partition unless you are absolutely desperate for drive space.

Hugh