Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
topdaug

What else do I need??? I have NSSuite

I am running Norton suite and I have had a few problems that I thought Norton should have caught.

So tell me, in addition to the Suite do I need to also have adware/malware protection??

After I have gone through checking the "protect me so no one changes my homepage" and the security on Norton and the firewalls what can I do to protect my computer from Hijacking???

And what was the point of checking the box if the browser can be hijacked anyway?

Thank you,

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

Re: What else do I need??? I have NSSuite

One reason users get infected while running any security software is by not following safe surfing procedures. Ie clicking on links in unknown emails. Another thing that can happen is a zero day infection where no security software is yet aware of that particular malware.

You do not specify what problems you had, but you mention browser hijacking. This can often be installed along with some other software the user is downloading. Example is a McAfee scan that can be downloaded with Adobe products. If the user does not read the download instructions carefully they will not see that they need to uncheck the box to avoid downloading the extra software.

Many users here will run on demand scanners such as the Free version of Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware every week or so to catch these tag along downloads. Just be sure you do not install the Pro versions that come with real time scanners that will conflict with your Norton products.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
dickevans

topdaug wrote:

I am running Norton suite and I have had a few problems that I thought Norton should have caught.

So tell me, in addition to the Suite do I need to also have adware/malware protection??

After I have gone through checking the "protect me so no one changes my homepage" and the security on Norton and the firewalls what can I do to protect my computer from Hijacking???

And what was the point of checking the box if the browser can be hijacked anyway?

Thank you,

Hi,
Fact:

No single security program can protect you 100% of the time from 100% of the threats being released daily by the thousands.

Some of us recommend keeping a free on demand scanner on the desktop to be run every so often or whenever you feel a need for a second opinion after a clean Norton scan. [I get that feeling at least weekly]

You can do a quick search on the Internet and find several.

Keep us posted

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Contributor
n66h85l

HI I am a Norton 360 user I have tried to get infected no go the resion I can't get infected is because I use the fallowing things

Secunia PSI it updates out of date programs Risks can enter through holes in out of date programs it is free for home users

Norton DNS

Norton 360

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free it scans when you tell it to

Norton Power Eraser

peterweb

n66h85l wrote:

HI I am a Norton 360 user I have tried to get infected no go the resion I can't get infected is because I use the fallowing things

Secunia PSI it updates out of date programs Risks can enter through holes in out of date programs it is free for home users

Norton DNS

Norton 360

Norton Power Eraser

Your protection details are great, except I would suggest NOT running Norton Power Eraser as a regular malware scanner. That is not what it is designed for. It is a very powerful tool used to remove infections when regular scanners cannot. If the user does not know the Windows files and settings, NPE can remove critical Windows files that could make Windows unbootable.

Rootkit Eradicator
elsewhere

peterweb wrote:

n66h85l wrote:

Norton DNS

Norton 360

Norton Power Eraser

Your protection details are great, except I would suggest NOT running Norton Power Eraser as a regular malware scanner. That is not what it is designed for. It is a very powerful tool used to remove infections when regular scanners cannot. If the user does not know the Windows files and settings, NPE can remove critical Windows files that could make Windows unbootable. 

Hi peterweb

Symantec has decided to make the Norton Power Eraser a primary feature in the initial Norton v21 beta release:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-Norton-Internet/Norton-Power-Eraser-is-like-a-box-of-match...

If you or any other users reading this post disagree with this decision, then please click on the link above and respond to that thread. Please take the time to voice your concerns via the link above as Symantec has openly asked end users for feedback on how they can improve their beta software.

Thanks

yank
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 512

elsewhere wrote:
Symantec has decided to make the Norton Power Eraser a primaryfeature in the initial Norton v21 beta release:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-Norton-Internet/Norton-Power-Eraser-is-like-a-box-of-match...

If you or any other users reading this post disagree with this decision, then please click on the link above and respond to that thread. Please take the time to voice your concerns via the link above as Symantec has openly asked end users for feedback on how they can improve their beta software.

Thanks

Thanks for posting that elsewhere - as a non-Beta tester I would have missed that and I have added my two cents!

peterweb

elsewhere wrote:

peterweb wrote:

Hi peterweb

Symantec has decided to make the Norton Power Eraser a primary feature in the initial Norton v21 beta release:

Thanks

As yank says, thank you for pointing this out.