Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
pra
Visitor
pra

Which version Norton 360 ?

A year ago I bought Norton 360, so presumably it was 2011 version.

I am being invited to renew it for £69.99

Symantec Norton 360 Version 6.0 All In One Security 2012 is being offered for £34.99

Which should I buy ?

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: Which version Norton 360 ?

There is some information we do not know

1.When you bought Norton 360 did you buy a 1 year or 2 year licence?

2. Is you Norton 360 expired or about to expire.

When you have a valid licence the upgrade to the current version is free.

So if you buy 2011 today you can upgrade free to the latest version 6.

Upgrades usually take just a few minutes. So if you are looking for an economic solution you would always go for the cheapest opportunity to purchase any version of Norton360.

3. You do not say how the offer of £69.99 comes about and how the offer of £34.99 came to you.

Sometimes online purchase is more expensive that say buying a new copy from Costco, Walmart etc.

pra
Visitor
pra

The one I bought was for one year and is due to expire in 14 days

Both offers came from Norton

The renewal was an invitation from Norton reminding me that I only had 14 days left

The price was £ 64.99 ( not £69.99, sorry )

I followed this through until I came to a screen that invited me to buy " Norton Virus Removal Assurance" for £6.99

I would have paid the £64.99, but decided to query the " Assurance" 

Not knowing what it was, I started googling and came across your forum

While googling I also came across

http://www.antivirusoffer.com/symantec-norton-360-version-6-0-all-in-one-security-2012/?gclid=CJXd38...

which is the £34.99 offer

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

pra wrote:

The one I bought was for one year and is due to expire in 14 days

The renewal was an invitation from Norton reminding me that I only had 14 days left

Thanks for the info. OK so I hope I explained the situation. If you buy a full product then you can either install the product key when your existing one expires. Or contact Norton customer services and they will add your new product key licence onto the existing one and basically you will then be covered for 365+14 (if for example you effected this today).

pra
Visitor
pra

No, I am no whizz, and don't follow your reply.

Is one offer not "a full product " in some way ?

What's a product key ?

pra
Visitor
pra

Here is another Norton website with a different offer-

http://symantec-norton.com/Norton_360_Version_6.0_p121.aspx?lang=en-GB&par=goo_uk5476973448_norton_3...

I'm sure you thinjk that I am some sort of idiot, but this is a genuine request for help from someone who doesn't understand the jargon around your product..

Even when I do look behind the Norton icon, there is nothing to tell me which version I have.

I have found the original box my Norton came in, and it is version 4.0 3  "Exclusive Gold Edition", and was activated in April 2010.

Does this mean it is still version 4.0, or does it get automatically updated ?

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

[ Edited ]

Hi pra

To find your current version, on the main 360 page click on Support-About. 

As you found, there are many offers for the same product at differing prices. Just make sure are comparing pricing for either the Standard or Premium version, depending on what you are using now. Any Version of Norton 360 can be purchased at the best price you can find, and you just use the product key that comes with the new copy of the software, to start another year of protection.

As mentioned above, when you click renew on the main N360 screen, you are prompted to enter a new product key. If you do this you will lose any remaining time on the old subscription. If you have a lot of time left you could contact Symantec support to have them add the time to the new key.

After you have done this, you can click on Support-Check for new Version, and that will upgrade you to the latest N360 version 6. Then run LiveUpdate many times manually, rebooting as necessary, until there are no updates available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

pra wrote:

No, I am no whizz, and don't follow your reply.

Is one offer not "a full product " in some way ?

What's a product key ?

ok. By full product I mean like when you go to a store and buy a new copy of Norton 360. When you buy a subscription renewal you are buying a licence, on the presumption that the software is already installed. So with subscription renewal you are not for example receiving cd/dvd.

A product key is the key that you enter to activate the product when you buy full product. When you buy a subscription renewal it is renewing the existing registered key.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

pra wrote:

Here is another Norton website with a different offer-

http://symantec-norton.com/Norton_360_Version_6.0_p121.aspx?lang=en-GB&par=goo_uk5476973448_norton_3...

I'm sure you thinjk that I am some sort of idiot, but this is a genuine request for help from someone who doesn't understand the jargon around your product..

Even when I do look behind the Norton icon, there is nothing to tell me which version I have.

I have found the original box my Norton came in, and it is version 4.0 3  "Exclusive Gold Edition", and was activated in April 2010.

Does this mean it is still version 4.0, or does it get automatically updated ?

I think no such thing. Dont worry.

Let me try again. It does not matter which version you have or buy, the upgrade to the latest version is free. So if you buy version 4 it is free to upgrade to version 6; same applies to version 5. If it is cheaper to buy version 5 then you can consider doing so because the upgrade to version 6 is free. The only difference is that in the box that you buy the cd will be that version and not the latest version. The latest version can always been downloaded or accessed via the software in recent editions.

If you have not updated from version 4, then it is still version 4. Look at the posting in the thread, you can find your version number and post it here.

pra
Visitor
pra

I found that I had version 4

Then I found somewhere that I could upgrade it, which I did by pressing a few buttons

I didn't know you could do this

Why does it not do it automatically? Or at least prompt me to do so  when new versions are available ?

This still doesn't tell me why it is cheaper to buy Norton 360 from Norton on-line

http://buy-static.norton.com/norton/ps/3up_uk_en_navnis360_br_nf_360.html?om_sem_cid=hho_sem_ic:gb:g...

than to renew it on-line ???