Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Contributor
notusedupyet

Why Malwarebytes????/

I have been reading the posts here in this forum and I see a pattern of suggested repair. Almost every time someone says they have been infected, they are told to download and run Malwarebytes. I have 2 questions on this. 1( Isn't The GOOD money I spent on NORTON 360 sufficient to prevent these Malware/Spyware/Viruses from attacking my PC?? 2( Isn't the GOOD money I spent on NORTON 360 sufficient to REMOVE these Malware/Spyware/Viruses from my PC??? I would think that having NORTON 360 running and updated on my PC would be sufficient to protect my computer from attack and if attacked it would remove and PROTECT my PC. Why would Symantec have to recommend a 3rd party malware remover? Isn't your software good enough to do the trick. This also leads me to the fact that I have to go a month without my browser toolbar because Firefox updated my software and Norton isn't prepared to accommodate the update. Hence I have paid GOOD money for a program that doesn't protect my PC or provide protection from what it is supposed top be protecting it from. Can someone explain this to me? And tell me why I should continue using this software that doesn't do as advertised.

Thank You

ps. Are you kidding me that your Forum Spell Checker doesn't have Malware, Spyware, Firefox, or the Malwarebyytes program that you recommend in it. Sheesh

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
-Albert Einstein-
delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: Why Malwarebytes????/

I will try to answer your questions in some sort of order.

1.  We recommend malwarebytes for three reasons: It is a very effective malware remover, it provides a log that allows us to determine how serious the infection is likely to be, and it is capable of making repairs to the registry.  This makes it very useful as a tool.  It is not an antivirus or antimalware blocker per se, but it is a good hunter.

2.  The Norton products are very, very good at blocking malware and preventing it from getting into your machine.  Malware infections have dropped by at least 70% from early in 2009.  However, people make mistakes, click on things they should not, enjoy P2P sharing, bittorents, and illegal downloads. These activities allow you to become infected because it has been allowed into the machine. 

3. The first thing most malware does is shut down your antivirus, and then prevent you from going to most security sites for help.  People get paid good money to write effective malware.  While Symantec is busy dismantling their malicious code, they are busy dismantling antivirus programs to find the best way to get in.  The malware obviously gets written first, the security companies must then contain it.  For that period of time, you are at risk.

4.  All program vulnerabilities should be patched, software kept current, Windows kept current, and your antivirus kept as up to date as possible.  The antivirus is only one part of security.  It fails if everything else does not maintain secure standards.  Your antivirus program, no matter who developed it does not perform miracles.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hi notusedupyet

No one security program can be 100 % effective in today's ever changing malware world.  Malwarebytes is often recommended as a good 2nd line of defense in double checking your Norton products. The free version that is. Malwarebytes is good in cleaning up remains of what your Norton product also cleans up. The malware writers are always one step ahead unfortunately. You will find malwarebytes even recommended by the various Forums out there that specialize in removing the hard malwares.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Super Spam Squasher
boneidle

I don't think there is any Security Prog's out there which will catch everything immediately it come out.

Malwarebytes are very good at what they do, hence the recommendations.

But saying that, you wouldn't want to use that prog. on it's own.

Malware bytes concentrates on Malware so are more likely to update that area quicker.

Personally I prefer Norton, but, I still use a couple of extra prog's if I think it is will help keep me secure.

Super Spyware Scolder
3play

To the Original poster

We recommend malwarebytes for three reasons: It is a very effective malware remover, it provides a log that allows us to determine how serious the infection is likely to be, and it is capable of making repairs to the registry.  This makes it very useful as a tool.  It is not an antivirus or antimalware blocker per se, but it is a good hunter.

Additionally , MBAM free version does not run in real-time . It has a huge base of spyware related threats and rogue software , this makes it an excellent cleaner/kind of hunter.

The Norton products are very, very good at blocking malware and preventing it from getting into your machine.  Malware infections have dropped by at least 70% from early in 2009.  However, people make mistakes

People make mistakes , perhaps this is the most important part . In N360 version 4 and Norton 2010 , when the Quorum provides information about a file and upon execution it asks for user permission to run or stop the unproven/bad file - it is up to the user to decide.

Most of the times it is because of people's wrong decisions

In my opinion , if your WIndows is up-to-date and if you have just a little common sense , Norton can provide you 100% protection

Bot Obliterator
Quads

3play wrote:

In my opinion , if your WIndows is up-to-date and if you have just a little common sense , Norton can provide you 100% protection

NO AV Software is 100%, Even Security Software Companies won't state that.  No review or independent tests will state that either.

Also in the past people have got infected from sites like the NYTimes site ad (drive-by??) that downloaded a Rogue that was not detected.

Quads

AllenM
Topics: 226
Kudos: 2,153
Solutions: 379

Hi notusedupyet,

You have been given several reasons why MalwareBytes is commonly recommended on the forums. However, I would add a couple more things to think about.

Well known companies like Symantec, MacAfee and others are common targets of malware writers. Anti Virus software made from well known companies like these are typically the first victim malware writers will try to disable so that they are free to do their dirty work unhindered. This sometimes gives an advantage to less well known anti-malware software to get in undetected and clean the malware off your computer.

Very much like Windows is a much more common target of malware writers, just because it is the most prevalent OS out there! Compare this to MAC and others which is not targeted very often by malware writers, at least not by comparison to Windows.

Any veteran in virus/malware removal will be unanimous in saying that a good defense never includes just one anti-virus and anti-malware tool. The best defense includes several tools, chosen carefully, which all work together to give your computer the best defense possible against the crazies out there who write virus's and other malware. The absolute #1 rule is to never install and use more than one real time security software at the same time.

The motto is: no single tool does it all or catches it all.

Hope these comments from everyone helps to satisfy the answers to your questions.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
photo762
Topics: 56
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 20

I'm retired and have all the time in the world to follow the forums.

I follow the threads with more than a passing interest and with this in mind, I had a look at some of information tools on my pc; I found the MS OS Event Viewer.

I had a look at what was going in / out of my pc, thing I've allowed providers access.

Sufficient to say, there is so much going in / out, that I didn't have a clue about, that it's not worth worrying about; in the vein of, if you have no control over an action, forget it, life is too short.

I have come to the conclusion that, although you can attempt to prevent Malware, if it's your turn, you'll get it.

AllenM
Topics: 226
Kudos: 2,153
Solutions: 379

Hi Photo762,

There is never a guarantee that one won't get hit with some sort of virus/malware at some point. But I can tell you from personal experience and as a software engineer that much can be done to prevent it. I have been dealing with computers for over 20 years and I have been hit only twice, one very minor malware and one which was moderate severity. On the other hand I have known others who are not so careful who has been hit literally many dozens of times in a far shorter period of time!

So we're not talking about letting the possibility of getting hit control your life where you think about nothing else. Instead we are talking about taking sensible precautions and utilizing the proper tools to minimize this risk to the greatest extent possible.

Being careful and vigilant should simply be an ingrained habit and one we don't have to even consciously think about all the time. It should become as much a habit as breathing.

Even my own partner has learned a few hard lessons about being vigilant.

Thanks

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
Regular Contributor
georgegee

In regards to the Firefox compatability with Norton Toolbar and Norton IPS.

You can temporarily downgrade to Firefox 3.5.7 until the hotfix is released, the toolbar/IPS works in 3.5.7.

Then when the hotfix is released (second week in February) you can upgrade to Firefox 3.6.

***Windows 7 64-bit, 4GB DDR2, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz, 2x 290GB HDD's. (Packard Bell iXtreme)***