Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Keylogger Crusher
mb40sr
Accepted Solution

Why does backup take so long??

[ Edited ]

My download speed is 19 Mbps and upload is 1 Mbps. If it takes 12 hours to backup 6GB online, How long will it take to restore?

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

Re: Why does backup take so long??

[ Edited ]

Hi mb40sr,

One gigabyte = 8192 megabits.  So allowing for some overhead on your bandwidth you are probably looking at around just under one hour to download 6 gigabytes.  However, there is some compression and encryption involved in the backup process that will add some more time to the mix, as explained here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Speed-of-restoring-files/m-p/423844/message-uid/423844/hig...

Here is a handy chart for figuring your upload times with slower connections:

Backup takes more time when I run backup to Secure Online Storage for the first time in Norton 360 V...

Super Keylogger Crusher
mb40sr

Thanks alot for the chart. At first when I wrote this I was backward on the download and upload time speeds. So of course this added to my frustration thinking that it would take 19 times longer but of course thats not the case. Thanks again.

Super Keylogger Crusher
mb40sr

Another question. How long will it take to delete a 6GB?

dickevans

Deleting on the local machine shouldn't take too long. Time will vary with the number of files and the speed of the machine.

Deleting a remote machine can take longer as the traffic factor has  to be factored in.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21