Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
AnnoyedCustomer

Why is Norto more expensive than the retailers?

Yesterday I purchased Norton 360 via your website for $99. I could have puchased it for $80 at Officeworks in Brisbane. I already had a Norton 360 for 3 other computers. I will be looking to purchase from your competitors in future as you are clearly ripping people off.

jr3625

Re: Why is Norto more expensive than the retailers?

I feel the same way I'm on automatic re -up and my price is 79 in cost it's like 49.What gives?

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,861
Solutions: 379

Although this is indeed annoying it is not uncommon since "manufacturers" with retail distributors find they cannot undercut their distribution channels and keep them. But retailers are able to undercut the manufacturer or are able to offer special limited rebates.

You will find that we suggest buying retail and using the key to activate the installed copy. Even if it is a new installation you can download a more recent installation file from the Norton Website without charge, install it and then activate it with the KEY from the copy you bought.

Just note that if you do this on an earlier installation it wipes out any unused days while if you buy a renewal from Norton that adds to your unexpired days so there is a small convenience element in renewing from Norton if you want to do it long before your present subscription expires.

You may want to check this for your location but Symantec offer a 60 day money back warranty if you are not satisfied with the product so in theory you could get your money back and then install the cheaper product if it is still available.

That link is to the USA/CAN website and this:

http://au.norton.com/support/dtree.jsp?id=returns&selected_nav=&pvid

should be for Australia/NZ -- in any case both tell you to go to CHAT if yoyu bought a renewal.

To contact customer support Click on this link and work on from there.

You can choose CHAT or Email; phone may have a long wait time and feedback from users tells us that CHAT is by far the best at resolving problems.

Note that that link is to the USA/CAN website so if you are located elsewhere I'm sure you will be able to find the equivalent location on your local Symantec website; some pages have a link at the top right where you can select the country you are located in.

Hugh
Contributor
dbe425

I just want to make sure I clearly understand this.  I have Norton 360 on my desktop.  It has 19 days left until the subscription expires.  Once I buy a new copy and code key I do what? 

Contributor
dbe425

Nevermind.  I should look harder before asking questions.

fuss7749

Like "Annoyed Customer" I am also in Australia(Melbourne) and for the past 2 years I have purchased my N360 online through Symantec.It has cost about $5 more than a retailer but I didn't mind because it was convenient to do so.However a retailer currently has a deal for the N360 and a 4GB usb for just $88!That is a saving of $11 plus the usb,I realize that Symantec can't match these offers however in this case I really have no choice but to take the offer.My current subscription runs out in about 20 days.Symantec must be losing direct customers and at some point they will need to address these price issues.

huwyngr

dbe,

No problem -- don't hesitate to ask if anything is still not clear.

Basically -- wait until a couple of days before your subscription expires and then just click on Renew and enter the new KEY ....

Run Liveupdatae a few times to fully update.

Check your purchase and the Norton website in case there is an upgraders rebate form available since in the US is is often $20 or $30 as well as any other rebates when you bought.

Hugh
fuss7749

Oh well,aint laziness a powerful thing.Despite my above post I couldn't be bothered going to the store to buy the cheaper N360.Earlier today I again renewed online with Symantec and I still believe the N360 is the best security going around.

huwyngr

Thanks for the feedback .... and for helping to pay for these forums <gdr>

Hugh