Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Truoc

Windows 8 says Norton protection turned off

Hey all.  Just posted this on the Comcast forums and thought I'd post over here as well.  Hopefully you can help me.  I installed Windows 8 shortly after it was released last night and am having a problem with my Norton Security Suite provided by Comcast.  NSS shows that it is running in the system tray and has the green check mark to signify it is protecting me, yet the Windows Action Center says that Antivirus and Spyware protection is turned off and the firewall is turned off.  I thought this might be because I didn't do a clean install of Windows 8, but I even uninstalled the Norton Suite, ran the Norton removal tool and reinstalled and it is doing the same thing.  I have ran LiveUpdate and am up to date.  When I open task manager the processes (ccsvhst) are running just fine yet it still shows in Action Center that my protection is turned off.  Should I use something else for the time being or is it actually protecting me and this is a bug in Windows 8?  Thanks for any and all help.

Support>About shows I have version 20.1.0.24 if that is any help

dickevans

Re: Windows 8 says Norton protection turned off

Truoc wrote:

Hey all.  Just posted this on the Comcast forums and thought I'd post over here as well.  Hopefully you can help me.  I installed Windows 8 shortly after it was released last night and am having a problem with my Norton Security Suite provided by Comcast.  NSS shows that it is running in the system tray and has the green check mark to signify it is protecting me, yet the Windows Action Center says that Antivirus and Spyware protection is turned off and the firewall is turned off.  I thought this might be because I didn't do a clean install of Windows 8, but I even uninstalled the Norton Suite, ran the Norton removal tool and reinstalled and it is doing the same thing.  I have ran LiveUpdate and am up to date.  When I open task manager the processes (ccsvhst) are running just fine yet it still shows in Action Center that my protection is turned off.  Should I use something else for the time being or is it actually protecting me and this is a bug in Windows 8?  Thanks for any and all help.

Support>About shows I have version 20.1.0.24 if that is any help

Hi,

I suspect that the staff is working to confirm that everything is compatible with the now released version. They will also be feverishly working to correct any incompatiblities before they turn the patch loose on all of us.

Give them some time and they will provide you with the tools necessary to play well with W8

Until then stay well and surf safe

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
yank
Kudos: 2,155
Solutions: 501

I'd like to point out that the OP is using the Comcast version and it has been compatible with Win 8 since  NSS version 6.4. 

Comcast has not received the 2.2 version as of yet, so that would be a non player in this case.  Once Comcast is updated to catch up to N 360, I would guess to be the time Norton may get invloled with working with it.

jetway

Hi all,

I have the same problem. In installed an Windows 8 upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 7. Now Action Center is displaying that Norton Internet Securty and Wndows Defender are both turned off which is simply not true. Norton is running and has a green Status.

Contributor
alfoundat

[ Edited ]

This is not only happening with Norton but with Emsisoft Anti-Malware too (my cousin has it installed).

Maybe in the next Windows update (or Norton's) things will be fixed.

Contributor
takethe_point

Same here win 8 says norton protection turned off.

Contributor
Truoc

Well it is somewhat of a relief (I guess lol) knowing that I am not the only one with this problem!  Like you said, hopefully this gets fixed sometime soon.  Thanks!

Visitor
bigd86

On my Win8 machine with Internet Security, Action Center Shows it turned off,but it's not. On myWin8  machines with Norton 360, everythin shows as OK. Interesting.

Symantec Employee
TomM

Thanks all for this important info.  Rest assured, if your Norton product is reporting itself on and active, it's working.

It would be a big help to us if each of you experiencing this issue would try the following:

- Verify Norton is on (in the Norton UI)

- Verify that Norton is off in the Action Center (or Security Center), or that Norton is not present in the Action/Security center

- Open the Norton UI

- Disable your Norton protection (select 15 minutes in the dialog)

- Wait 1 minute

- Re-enable your Norton protection

- Does Action/Security Center properly report the Norton status?

thanks!

Ericlf

I tried the procedure requested by TomM.  After disabling and re-enabling Norton 360, Windows 8 Action Center still showed Norton 360 firewall and anti-virus turned off.  However, after rebooting Windows 8 the action center shows that Norton 360 firewall, virus protection and malware protection are turned on.